Wellin United (0) 0 Bath City (3) 3 – Vanarama National League South – Saturday 10 August 2019 – Park View Road

Wellin United (0) 0 Bath City (3) 3 – Vanarama National League South – Saturday 10 August 2019 – Park View Road

Bath City made it seven points from nine in a commanding display at Welling United. The Wings had little response to the Romans’ dominance, particularly in the first half, as Jerry Gill’s men oozed class in Kent. James Pardington became the third glovesman for Bath this season, having signed on loan from Premier League Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He was a virtual spectator in the first half as the ten in front of him controlled proceedings, starting with an opener on ten minutes. Connor Riley-Lowe’s corner was flicked at the near post by captain Joe Raynes, and Alex Hartridge had the easiest of tasks to slide in on the goalline, making amends for his own goal four days previous at Weymouth. It was also City’s first first half goal in 11 outings. Welling took advantage of some slack Bath marking to nearly level soon after. Luke Rooney’s free-kick was met by the head of the unmarked Adam Coombes, but Pardington was equal to it, flicking over the bar. Rooney’s next contribution wasn’t as positive. Having chased alongside Andy Watkins, the midfielder foolishly lunged in and upended the forward, giving referee Michael Ryan no option but to award a penalty. Tyler Harvey stepped up and, like Tuesday, showed few nerves by sending the keeper the wrong way, stroking it past Dan Wilks. He tamely shot straight at Wilks on the half-hour when Rooney had been dispossessed, but it made little difference as he was involved in Bath’s third on 44 minutes. A combination of Raynes and Adam Mann down the right worked it through to Harvey on the byline, whose centre was perfect for the onrushing Tom Richards to bury home from ten yards. City were purring, the midfield three of Richards, Harry Hamblin and Tom Smith running Welling ragged. Smith nearly extended the advantage with a stinging shot on the cusp of half-time, which Wilks did well to tip over.

The shellshocked hosts made two changes at the break, bringing on Dquame Copeland and Josh Oyinsan for the ineffective Julian Anau and Coombes. It didn’t make much impact as City threatened to add to their tally with Richards fizzing an effort just over from distance. The energetic midfielder was hungry for more, again just missing the target on the hour, before he nearly rounded off a stunning passing move which left the beleaguered hosts mesmerised. Starting with Hamblin’s tenacity and skill in midfield, a patient move eventually saw Richards’ attempt fumbled by Wilks, but Harvey couldn’t gobble up the rebound. Oyinsan hustled and bustled in attack for Welling but struggled against a well-marshalled back line, turning and blazing horribly off target after some rare slackness in the Bath defensive third. He also tried to steal ahead of Harvey Smith and Pardington chasing down a long ball, but prodded wide as the three collided on the corner of the penalty area. Gavin McCallum nearly marked his introduction with a consolation, but Pardington was equal to his powerful strike, parrying to safety. A response didn’t arrive as Bath recorded their biggest win at Park View Road since January 1995, where Jerry Gill featured as right back. The present manager would have been just as delighted with the watching view, as his injury-hit men ran out resounding winners, leaving them full of confidence with two home games in the next week.

Att: 416

City’s Line-Up: Pardington, Raynes (c), Riley-Lowe, T Smith, Mann, Watkins (Simpson 76), Harvey, Richards, Hartridge, H Smith, Hamblin. Subs not used: Wiles-Richards, Bower, Harper.

Scorers: City – Hartridge (9), Harvey (23 pen), Richards (43); Welling – none

City Bookings: T Smith (35)

Officials: M Ryan, M Marsh, S Rea