September 2016

Pay What You Want on 2016 Community Day (29/9/16)

The next National League South fixture at Twerton Park is the game between Bath City and Eastbourne Borough on Saturday 8th October, which will be Bath City Football Club’s Community Day this season, when it is a “Pay What You Want” fixture with 10% of the gate money being donated to the charity that the club are supporting this season – Genesis Trust.

Extra entertainment before the game, at half-time and after the game will be available. There will be a football match on the pitch at half-time involving secondary school children, organised by the Bath City FC Community Sports Foundation, plus there will also be an electric car and hover boards in Randall’s with remote controlled cars to enjoy inside the ground….. all provided by TopSteer who will be donating one third of the money they collect from these activities to Genesis Trust. There will also be the opportunity to have your face painted in Bath City colours, provided by a local face painter, Hannah from FantasyFaces.

This is a great opportunity to attend a game that will also celebrate the success of the recent Big Bath City Bid.

City’s U18 match at Twerton Park against Forest Green Rovers this Saturday (October 1) is an 11am kick not 10.30am as previously announced.

Big Bath City Bid pushing on to £350,000! (28/9/16)

After crashing through the £300,000 target required to trigger community ownership early on Monday evening, the Big Bath City Bid is continuing to encourage fans to invest in the community share offer and secure their part in the Club’s future. A stretch target of £350,000 will give the Bid headroom above the bare minimum target and will be used to set the Club and Supporters Society on an even firmer footing as we set about together building a brighter future for Bath City FC.

You can invest up to midnight tonight at and gain shareholder benefits ranging from an exclusive badge and place on the Supporters Roll of Honour, to three years’ membership of the Premier Lounge.

Don’t miss out – buy your shares now and be part of the new Bath City FC.

Date for FA Youth Cup tie at Yate Town (27/9/16)

City U18 side’s FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round against Yate Town will take place on Thursday 6 October (ko 7.30pm) at The Jelf Stadium.

Just who did score City’s 1st Hemel goal? (26/9/16)

After much discussion on social media the confusion over who actually scored City first goal in Saturday’s 3-3 draw at Hemel Hempstead Town appears to have been solved. Initially it looked as if Lee Marshall’s free-kick had curled into the net without a touch from any other player. However, although both photographic and video evidence is inconclusive, Marvin Morgan, the closest City player to the flight of the ball, has unequivocally claimed he got the faintest contact to the ball. Therefore I have amended the website to give the goal to Morgan, taking his tally to six for the season and leaving Marshall still searching for his first strike in City colours.

City’s U18 side will be at Twerton Park this Saturday when they face Forest Green Rovers. The South West Counties Youth League game kick off at 10.30am and admission if free.

And the draw for the FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round has given City a trip to Yate Town. The date for the tie will be confirmed shortly.

Honours even in six-goal Hemel thriller (24/9/16)

City and Hemel Hempstead Town were involved in a topsy-turvy encounter this afternoon before sharing the points thanks to a 3-3 draw. With the referee starting the game a couple of minutes early it was not even three o’clock when Montgomery got the better of Jack Batten to shoot across Max O’Leary into the net – the goal time given as 35 seconds. With a strong wind blowing almost straight down the considerable Vauxhall Road slope towards O’Leary’s goal City were struggling to keep possession. The home side rarely looked like taking advantage of the conditions until on the half hour a long clearance saw O’Leary race from his goal only for Weiss to get there first and loop a header into the unguarded goal. Almost immediately City replaced Batten and Josh Hutchinson with Naby Diallo and Nick McCootie. Andy Watkins finally tested the Tudors keeper Butler on the stroke of half-time and within 10 minutes of the restart they pulled a goal back when Lee Marshall’s free-kick appeared to curl straight into the net despite the close attentions of Marvin Morgan. There was no doubting the scorer of City’s equaliser seven minutes later when Chas Hemmmings’ 25-yard shot flew past Butler. City now looked in control of the game but with 14 minutes left they fell behind again, an unmarked Kaloczi heading past O’Leary. Given their extra-time efforts four days earlier at Oxford City it wouldn’t have been a surprise if they had run out of steam at this blow but on 80 minutes they levelled again, Morgan touching another ball into the box past Butler. Both sides went in search of a winner after this, the closest from Shaquille Hunter’s shot that clipped the outside of the post, before the referee ended the game less than a minute into the three minutes announced stoppage time.

Gradwell Communications Proud to Support City (23/9/16)

As a trusted long-standing Bath business, Gradwell Communications are proud to support the campaign to keep Bath City Football Club owned by the fans. On Friday 16th September, seven fundraisers from the Club took over part of the Gradwell Customer Support department to drum up support for the bid. The telethon raised a staggering £10,750 which will go towards ensuring Bath City continues to be a vibrant and well-loved local institution, owned by the people for the people. Gradwell were proud to cover the cost of all calls on the 3.5 hour telethon, using their award-winning hosted VoIP platform, full use of the premises and limitless tea and coffee to keep motivation high! Gradwell are also proud sponsors of the back of the Bath City home and away shirts. You’ll find at least one of their team members at all home games.

Youth enjoy nine-goal FA Youth Cup success (21/9/16)

City’s U18 side comfortably progressed to the FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round at Twerton Park this evening with a 9-0 win over Bishops Sutton. Saikou Janneh opened the scoring on 16 minutes, heading home after a shot had come back off the bar, and two goals in as many minutes from Brad Champion and Shea Bennington Mannings made it 3-0 with 21 minutes gone. Janneh netted twice more before the interval to notch a first-half hat-trick and the goals continued to flow after the break. Jamie Ollis made it 6-0 on the hour mark before Janneh struck twice more to take his tally to five and City’s to eight. The final goal of the evening came from Bennington Mannings with eight minutes left, although he was denied a hat-trick and City a double-figure win by the linesman flag in the last minute.

City find little bit extra in FA Cup victory (20/9/16)

City produced a remarkable performance this evening to beat Oxford City by two goals to one after extra-time and secure a FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round trip to Potters Bar Town. The game was delicately poised at 1-1 with 15 minutes left – Frankie Artus’ close range finish from a Billy Murphy corner coming just four minutes after Fondop’s 21st minute header opened the scoring – when Shaquille Hunter reacted angrily after being fouled by Grant. The Oxford defender went down holding his face and Hunter was shown a straight red card. The Romans held out for the remaining normal time with few scares but were coming under increasing pressure as extra-time progressed. However, with the half-time whistle seconds away Josh Hutchinson battled for possession near the touchline which ended with Poku’s attempted tackle looping over keeper Stevens. The second half of extra-time saw the home side throw everything they could at City but Gary Owers team stood firm to earn a memorable victory.

City now face a first ever meeting with Southern League Division One Central side Potters Bar Town at their Parkfield home after they beat Canvey Island 3-2 this evening. The tie will take place on Saturday 1 October (ko 3pm).

Tomorrow night City’s U18 side will look to emulate the first team when they meet Bishops Sutton in the FA Youth Cup 1st Qualifying Round. The tie takes place at Twerton Park (ko 7.45pm). Admission prices: Adults £2, U16’s £1.

Replay winners to face Canvey Island or Potters Bar (19/9/16)

The winners of tomorrow night’s FA Cup replay between City and Oxford City with face a trip to either Canvey Island or Potters Bar Town in the 3rd Qualifying Round following today’s draw.

FA Cup hopes kept alive by marvellous Marvin (17/9/16)

City’s first draw of the 2016-17 season means they and Oxford City will have to meet again to earn a place in the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round. The visitors had an early let-off when Nick McCootie burst clear on goal only to be pulled down by Poku as he raced into the area. The referee correctly ajudged the foul to be just outside the box and then only booked the relieved no.2. Nothing came from the free-kick and Oxford soon began to look the more threatening side. Several times they were denied by some great City defending but in the final minute of the half Fondop outjumped his marker to head past Max O’Leary. At the interval Marvin Morgan and Josh Hutchinson replaced the ineffective Shaquille Hunter and Dan Bowman. The change saw City look to get the ball forward quicker but Oxford dealt well with this approach and continued to look a threat when they broke forward. Midway through the half the referee pulled up with a calf injury and a lengthy stoppage followed whilst a replacement official was found in the crowd. When the game restarted Frankie Artus’ flicked header finally forced Stevens into a save in the Oxford goal but the tie looked to be drifting away from City. However, as it reached the notional 90th minute George Rigg found space down the right flank and his cross was headed into the net by Morgan to level the scores. Twelve minutes of stoppage time followed but neither side could find another goal, the closest chance falling to Nick McCootie when he scooped a difficult chance over the bar in the final minute, meaning they will replay at Marsh Lane on Tuesday 20 September (ko 7.45pm).

Clinical City make light work of Gosport (13/9/16)

City bounced back from their disappointing last two outings with a thumping 4-0 win over Gosport Borough at Twerton Park this evening. The start of the game was delayed slightly due to a problem with the floolights but once power was restored it was Gosport who were first into their stride. With City strugging to retain possession the visitors created several good openings, the best seeing Max O’Leary produce a stunning one-handed save. As the half progressed City began to pose more of a threat with Nick McCootie, in particular, causing problems for the Borough backline. However, it was still against the run of play when City took the lead eight minutes before the interval. A pass down the channel toward Shaquille Hunter looked to hold little threat but Cunniffe inexplicably slid in to try to win the ball, upending the City no.10 in the process to give the referee no option but to award a penalty. Hunter took over spot kick duties after Billy Murphy’s miss on Saturday and confidently beat Rice from 12 yards. Gosport began the second half still on top but failed to really test O’Leary again and on 65 minutes City made it 2-0, McCootie latching onto a Naby Diallo pass before curling a shot past Rice into the corner of the net. And just seven minutes later it was 3-0 as Diallo found space to shoot under Rice. Understandably Gosport’s heads dropped and City could have added further goals before they won a second penalty of the night in the 87th minute when substitue Josh Hutchinson was fouled in the box. He stepped up to take the kick, sending Rice the wrong way and completing a great night for the Romans ahead of the FA Cup tie at home to Oxford City on Saturday.

Bid Meeting at Twerton Park this week (11/9/16)

There will be a Public Meeting about the Bid on Thursday 15 September, 7.30pm at Randall’s Bar, Twerton Park. This is an opportunity to ask questions of the Bid team, to confirm pledges or to buy new shares. We urge everyone to come along and bring potential supporters of the Bid with them.

City come up short against 10-man Hampton (10/9/16)

A missed penalty and, for the second game running, failure to take advantage of an opponent reduced to ten men saw City lose 2-1 against Hampton & Richmond Borough this afternoon. After a largely uneventful opening 25 minutes the hosts went ahead from the penalty spot after a Frankie Artus challenge just inside the box was ajudged a foul by the referee – Kamara drilling the spot kick down the middle. However, six minutes later a Billy Murphy free-kick was deflected into the net by Nick McCootie to deservedly level the scores. City were now on top and on 36 minutes handed the perfect chance to take the lead when McCootie went down in the area and the referee, once again, pointed to the spot. This time though Murphy’s penalty was too close to Howe and Artus headed the rebound over the bar. Hampton were almost gifted the lead within moments of the restart when Dan Ball’s backpass put Kabamba in the clear but Max O’Leary was out quickly to block his shot. City were punished for more slack defending on 55 minutes when Kamara headed home at the far post, despite a clear handball in the build up to the goal. Just past the hour mark Jolley’s wild tackle on Ball saw him receive a straight red card but, as in Tuesday’s defeat at home to Oxford City, the Romans couldn’t make their man advantage count. Any hopes of building pressure on the home side was undermined by their understandble timewasting and constant interruptions from the referee’s whistle to leave City on the end of another frustrating defeat.

Single goal enough for FA Youth Cup progress (8/9/16)

City’s U18 side enjoyed a narrow but deserved win over Odd Down FC in the FA Youth Cup Preliminary Round at Combe Hay Lane this evening. The only goal of the game came in the first half when James Ollis found the net with a 25-yard shot. City now face a home 1st Qualifying Round tie against Bishops Sutton FC who overcame Portishead FC by the same scoreline tonight. The date of the game will be confirmed shortly.

U18s in FA Youth Cup action at Odd Down FC (7/9/16)

A reminder to all City fans that the U18 side begin their FA Youth Cup campaign tomorrow (8/9) with a short trip to face Odd Down FC at Combe Hay Lane. The game kicks off at 7.45pm.

City in 2nd half shocker against 10-man Oxford (6/9/16)

City suffered a 2nd half collapse to crash 3-1 against Oxford City at Twerton Park this evening. At the interval City were a goal to the good, Nick McCootie taking full advantage of a dreadful mixup in the Oxford defence to net his first goal of the season in the 28th minute, and a man up after Roberts had been shown a straight red card for a dreadful challenge on George Rigg two minutes before the break. Against a side who has lost their previous four away league matches without scoring a goal the game was there for the taking for City but instead it was Oxford who levelled on 50 minutes through Giles’ great run and shot. Clearly stunned by this goal it took City a while to get back in the game but as the half progressed they began to take control and look the likelier winners. Instead with 11 minutes left a long clearance downfield saw Fondop get goalside of Chas Hemmings and skip past Max O’Leary to make it 2-1. City twice came within inches of levelling through Stuart Fleetwood and Shaquille Hunter but in the final minute another long ball forward caught City out. O’Leary raced from his goal to head clear but the ball was returned straight to Fondop who lifted it over the retreating keeper. There was still time for Shaquille Hunter to head against the bar but the damage had already been done and City will have to be much better if they aren’t to suffer an early FA Cup exit when the sides meet against in eleven days time at Twerton Park.

FA Cup draw gives City sense of déjà vu (5/9/16)

City will face Oxford City at Twerton Park twice in less than two weeks after the Vanarama National League South rivals were paired together in today’s FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Rounds draw. Oxford face City in a league game tomorrow night (6/9) before heading back up the M4 on Saturday 17 September (ko 3pm).

Shaq and Manny put skids under Whitehawk (3/9/16)

Having twice suffered last minute defeats already this season at Margate and Poole Town, City were on the positive side of a late goal this afternoon when Manny Monthe fired home an 88th minute winner against Whitehawk at a wet Twerton Park. Shaquille Hunter had given City the lead on 22 minutes before Llenga levelled for the visitors early in the second half as both sides overcame the difficult conditions to produce an open and entertaining game. The opening 20 minutes was an end to end affair with chances falling to Hunter and Nick McCootie for City and Mills and West for Whitehawk. The opening goal came after good work from Naby Diallo and McCootie which allowed Andy Watkins to cross for Hunter to steer it past Munoz. McCootie then shot inches wide before West produced an almost identical effort as chances continued to fall to both teams. McCootie had the ball in the net within minutes of the restart, after Munoz could only parry Hunter’s shot, but the linesman’s flag ruled out the effort and moments later Llenga rose unmarked to head Abdulla’s free-kick past Max O’Leary. This lifted Whitehawk and they began to look the more dangerous side, although City continued to threaten on occasion. And, in the end, it was the Romans who grabbed the three points with two minutes left when McCootie’s shot was blocked by Munoz and Monthe gleefully drove the rebound into the roof of the net.

Big Bath City Bid officially relaunched (2/9/16)

The Big Bath City Bid has been officially relaunched with a target of raising £300,000 by September 28 and making Bath City FC a community-owned club. Full details can be found at

Non-League Day game dedicated to Kick It Out (2/9/16)

Kick It Out will partner with Non League Day for the fifth consecutive year on 3 September, as Bath City dedicate their fixture to football’s equality and inclusion organisation. City have selected their home fixture against Whitehawk on Non League Day to recognise the work of Kick It Out and the Fans For Diversity campaign, run in partnership between Kick It Out and the Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF). Kick It Out and Fans For Diversity will also engage Bath City as they invite members of the local community to watch the Vanarama National League South clash. The planned activity around Non League Day will support the organisation’s ‘Call Full Time On Hate’ initiative. Taking place during the 2016/17 season, the initiative is calling on the collective force of the game to continue its efforts to encourage inclusion and deter hate from the game.

Players from all teams involved will wear t-shirts recognising Kick It Out and Fans For Diversity during the pre-match warm up, with supporters in attendance welcomed with badges, stickers, wristbands, fan clappers. This year will also see an opportunity for fans to get their hands on limited edition Kick It Out novelty glasses – which allow to spectators to have a ‘Different View Of Football’.

Martin Powell, Chair of the Bath City Supporters’ Society, welcomes the initiative, “As we begin the process of becoming a community-owned club, we are proud to dedicate this fixture to equality and inclusion in football. The central aim of community ownership is to include all sections of society – in Twerton, in Bath, in Somerset and beyond – on matchdays and in the running of the club. We also will be striving to engage with all members of the community wherever and whenever we can.”

Roisin Wood, Director of Kick It Out, is delighted the organisation has continued its support of Non League Day for the fifth consecutive year. “Over the past five years Non League Day has developed into one of the most important dates for the semi-professional and amateur game, and we are delighted that Kick It Out alongside Fans For Diversity will once again support the event. We saw from our activities last year the importance of clubs engaging with their local communities in helping to create a positive environment for all involved in football. These messages sit alongside our ‘Call Full Time On Hate’ initiative, which is calling on all of football to keep up its proactive stance against hate. With the backing of clubs dedicating fixtures, we hope our initiative reaches communities across the country.”

City sign Hickford on loan from Forest Green (1/9/16)

City have signed Harry Hickford on a three-month loan deal from Vanarama National League side Forest Green Rovers. The 20-year old can play at full-back or in midfield and has previously played for Milton Keynes Dons. He also spent loan spells with Torquay United, Dagenham & Redbridge and Hemel Hempstead Town.