September 2015

Mitzi’s Playground book available at Basingstoke game (30/9/15)

The ‘Where in Weston’ book, that has been produced to raise funds to build Mitzi’s Playground, a memorial to Mitzi Steady, the little 4-year old girl who tragically lost her life in February when a tipper truck veered out of control on Lansdown Lane, Weston, will be available to buy at City’s home game against Basingstoke Town this coming Saturday. A Bath couple, Penny Chakrabarti-Adams and husband Heinz, are running a competition to raise money for a playground memorial for Mitzi with a top prize, donated by local Builder and Roofer Mr Kirk Jefferies, of £1000. Over 400 copies have been sold so far and the Oldfield Park couple are hoping to sell at least 3,000 more to raise £17,000 for the playground. All entries have to be in no later than November 14th 2015. There will be six people at various places around the ground selling books, which cost £5 each, so please look out for them and support this appeal. Anyone buying the book can also meet by the tunnel after the game for a photo to help further publicise the fund raising venture.

Statement from new Gulls boss Nicholson (29/9/15)

New Torquay United manager Kevin Nicholson has issued a statement on his short time at Twerton Park, “I would like to thank everyone at Bath City for one of the most enjoyable times of my playing career. I have met the most genuine set of people that I have ever come across in one place. From the chairman to Adie, Archie and all the staff I have only gratitude and fond memories from my brief time there. They treated me with total respect and I’m honoured to be part of Bath City’s best ever start to a season. The players are a very talented group of lads who are full of potential and above all full of great characters. Although I’m moving on to start, what is really, my dream job as Player Manager of TUFC I had a lump in my throat when telling the lads after our game at Bodmin. Thanks to the fans who accepted me so quickly and I truly hope that the club goes on to great things this season. It’s the least they deserve. They will always have a friend down in Torquay.”

City handed tough 3G FA Cup test (28/9/15)

City will face their second outing on a 3G pitch this season after they were drawn away to Ryman League Division 1 North side Harlow Town in the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round. The Hawks currently sit in 6th place and beat St Ives Town in the previous round to reach this stage of the competition. The tie will take place at the Harlow Arena on Saturday 10 October 2015 (ko 3pm).

Nicholson leaves for Gulls manager post (28/9/15)

Following a request from Torquay United, City have agreed to release Kevin Nicholson to enable him to take up the vacant managers job at Plainmoor. Although Kevin has been with the Romans for only a few months he has made a significant impression upon the players, management and supporters both on and off the pitch and he will be missed. All at the club wish him well for the future, taking on a new challenge at a club where he has a close attachment having played 272 games in seven seasons.

Also leaving City is Aden Baldwin after loan period expired and he has returned to Forest Green Rovers. We thank him for his contribution in a very busy start to the season.

Artus brace spares City’s FA Cup blushes (26/9/15)

A stunning strike from Frankie Artus six minutes from time saw City edge past Bodmin Town by two goals to one in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round this afternoon. He also scored a much scrappier goal in the first half to give City the lead before the home side deservedly levelled after the break and looked to be taking the game to a replay at Twerton Park. The first half saw City largely control the game, restricting Bodmin, who play four levels below the Romans, to an occasional dangerous break. However, despite a plethora of corners it took City until the 38th minute to break the deadlock when Artus outjumped the home keeper Miller to loop the ball toward the goal where, despite a defender’s desperate efforts, the linesman’s flag signalled the ball had crossed the line. The second half began with Bodmin on top and on 53 minutes the ball broke kindly to Carter to drive a low shot just inside the post. City were clearly rattled and for ten minutes they looked like the lower division side. The introduction of Nick McCootie turned the game back toward City though as he tested Miller with a low shot then Dave Pratt somehow turned a Ashley Kington cross wide from a few yards out. He also headed wide when well-placed moments later but on 84 minutes Artus collected the ball 25 yards out and arrowed a shot past the rooted Miller to restore City’s lead. They comfortably held onto this advantage to ensure they would be in Monday’s 3rd Qualifying Round draw.

Date set for FA Youth Cup next round (25/9/15)

City U18s FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round tie with Taunton Town will take place at Twerton Park on Tuesday 6 October (ko 7.45pm). Admission prices are Adults £3 and U16’s £1.

City shortlisted for Team of the Year award (24/9/15)

City have been shortlisted for Senior Team of the Year, alongside Bath Rugby, Bath Rugby Ladies and British Swimming National Training Centre, in the 2015 Bath Chronicle Sports Awards. Bath City FC Community Sports Foundation has also been nominated for the Community Club of the Year award along with coach Charlie Griffin in the Coach of the Year category. The winners will be revealed at a glittering awards ceremony presented by broadcaster John Inverdale at Bath Racecourse on November 11.

City’s U18s league game against Salisbury FC scheduled for Saturday 26 September at Twerton Park has been cancelled due to the Wiltshire side’s injuries. And following their 5-3 win over Radstock Town last night the side will face Taunton Town in the FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round at home during the week commencing October 5.

Late goal rush as U18s make FA Youth Cup progress (23/9/15)

City’s U18 side progressed to the FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round following a remarkable 5-3 win over Radstock Town at Twerton Park this evening. Ryan Bole’s composed finish midway through the first half had given City the lead and the scoreline remained the same until the 80th minute. Then a perfectly executed lob from Brad Champion made it 2-0 and it looked as if City would enjoy a comfortable passage to the next round. However, a stunning 20 yard stike into the top corner from Heatley a minute later gave the visitors hope. City came straight back and George Rooke’s cheeky back heel, after Nathan Flynn’s shot had been blocked, restorted their two goal lead. Two minutes later City keeper Mitchell Woolley could only parry a free-kick and Blannin fired home to make it 3-2. With a minute of normal time left Champion scored his second and City’s fourth, firing home from the edge of the box, but still Radstock would not concede defeat and two minutes into stoppage time they won a penalty. Although Woolley saved the spot kick Blannnin netted the rebound to reduce the arrears to one goal again. A minute later though City finally secured the win when Flynn broke away to shoot home and complete an amazing last ten minutes.

Balls (little black plastic ones) City lose again (19/9/15)

City’s first ever competitive outing on a 3G pitch ended in defeat this afternoon as a early goal gave Maidstone United a 1-0 victory. There was just six minutes on the clock when May was given too much time and space to bring down a cross before vollying past Steve Phillips. Phillips then produced an excellent point-blank save to prevent the hosts increasing the lead but as the half progressed City began to get on top. Dave Pratt had a ‘goal’ ruled out for offside before Andy Watkins saw a 20-yard shot tipped onto the crossbar by keeper Worgan. The half ended with Frankie Artus’ volley dropping just the wrong side of the post with Worgan beaten. The second half continued with City in control, Chas Hemmings and Watkins going close before the latter struck the woodwork again, heading against the bar. This was as close as City would come to a deserved equaliser as the Stones held on to secure the three points.

City sign ex-Baggies midfielder Barrow (19/9/15)

City have former West Bromwich Albion midfieler Danny Barrow. The 19-year old began his career with Plymouth Argyle before joining the Baggies in May 2011. He was released by Albion in the summer and briefly headed to the US with two-time MLS champions Sporting Kansas City before returning to these shores. He goes straight into the squad to face Maidstone United this afternnon.

Bennett hat-trick ends unbeaten run (15/9/15)

City’s unbeaten start to the 2015-16 season came to an end at Gosport Borough this evening as a Justin Bennett hat-trick fired the home side to a 3-1 victory. He opened the scoring on 28 minutes, slotting past Steve Phillips after breaking clear on goal, before making it 2-0 in the 71st minute with a neat finish from 12 yards. City had tested home keeper Ashmore on several occasions but with just under ten minutes remaining he could do nothing to keep out Ashley Kington’s deflected shot. And it looked as if City had rescued an unlikely point five minutes later when Ashmore could only parry a shot to Dave Pratt to tap it home. However, the celebrations were halted by a linesman flag and deep into stoppage time Bennett added his and Gosport’s third with a close range finish.

City given Bodmin trip in FA Cup draw (14/9/15)

City will open their 2015-16 FA Cup campaign with a 2nd Qualifying Round trip to Cornwall to face Bodmin Town. The Black & Ambers currently sit at the top of the South West Peninsula League Premier Division and, like City, are unbeaten so far this season. The game will take place on Saturday 26 September (ko 3pm).

Hemel draw keeps unbeaten record intact (12/9/15)

City lost their place at the top of the Vanarama National League South this afternoon but kept their unbeaten record intact, coming from a goal down to draw 1-1 with Hemel Hempstead Town. City fell behind after just 15 minutes, possibly still struggling to come to terms with Hemel’s nausea-inducing green away kit, as Hawkins rose highest to head a left-wing free-kick past Steve Phillips. The visitors continued to look more threatening but as the half progressed City began to impose themselves on the game, with Nick McCootie twice getting into dangerous positions only to see the chances go begging. The second half began with Hemel once again on top but just before the hour mark they failed to clear their lines allowing loan defender Aden Baldwin to fire home the equaliser. City then enjoyed their best spell of the game, Dave Pratt, Baldwin and McCootie all failing to hit the target from good positions. To their credit Hemel fought back strongly and gave City several nervous moments in the closing stages but it was City who probably should have grabbed a late winner when a great run by Kevin Nicholson saw the ball break to Bradley Williams but he couldn’t get enough power on his shot and it was blocked away to safety.

City are back on the road on Tuesday evening when they head to the south coast to face fourth-placed Gosport Borough (ko 7.45pm).

Mascots get chance to get ‘savings’ habit (10/9/15)

Bath City FC is offering their match day mascots the chance to get the “savings” habit by opening an account with Bath Building Society. Each mascot not only has the chance to run out with the teams and be involved in the centre circle ritual of shaking the captains and referees’ hands but also has a match day programme signed by all the Bath City players, a pre-match kick about on the pitch and the chance to have a photograph with their chosen Bath City player. Included in the mascot package there is also a buffet for 4 people after the game and the presentation of a Bath Building Society goodie bag which contains a £10 voucher to open a savings account.

Lee Centamore, who owns City centre restaurant Yum Yum Thai in Kingsmead Square treated his 9 year old son, Luke, to the mascot package for Bath City’s first home game of the season against Wealdstone. The photograph (on front page) shows Luke with dad, Lee, and Bath Building Society representatives, Jon Sweeting and Tiffany Hardie-Albutt, opening his savings account at the Wood Street branch in Bath. Lee said,” It was a fantastic day for Luke as Bath City mascot and went way beyond our expectations. Great value and I would recommend it to anyone”.

Tiffany Hardie-Albutt, Bath Building Society’s PR and Communications Manager commented, “We are really pleased to be part of Bath City’s mascot programme to help young people to get into the habit of saving with their local Building Society. Congratulations to Luke on being the first Mascot to open an account with us and we look forward to welcoming the others”.

Bath City FC Commercial Executive, Bob Chester, is most appreciative of the support of Bath Building Society, who also sponsor the club’s website, and hopes that the parents of Bath City fans will see the mascot package as a great opportunity when they are searching for a birthday present of Christmas present for their sons or daughters or just as a treat.

Details about the mascot package can be found here.

Academy fixtures coming up (8/9/15)

City’s Academy side have three home fixtures coming up this month. They take on Birmingham Metropolitan College in the English Colleges FA Category 1 League at Odd Down Playing Fields on Wednesday 9 September (ko 2pm) and New College Academy in the South West Counties Youth League at Twerton Park on Saturday 19 September (ko 10.30pm). Admission is free for both these games. Then on Wednesday 23 September they begin their FA Youth Cup campaign against Radstock Town at Twerton Park (ko 7.45pm). Admission prices for this game are Adults £3, U16’s £1.

The side opened their South West Counties campaign in perfect style last Saturday with a 6-1 win at Llanwern Newport County, thanks to a brace from Merritt and strikes from Castillo, Bole, Rooke and Flynn.

City draw first blank of 15-16 season (5/9/15)

City failed to score first time this season as they were held to a goalless draw by mid-table Dartford at Twerton Park this afternoon. After a scrappy opening to the game the visitors created the first opening on 18 minutes. Chas Hemmings lost possession in midfield which gave Bradbrook a great chance but Steve Phillips got down smartly to his left to keep the shot out. This escape appeared to finally wake City up, Frankie Artus volleying narrowly over before Dave Pratt had the ball in the net but the linesman had already flagged for offside. City continued to enjoy the upper hand into the second half with Dartford appearing more and more content to settle for a point against the league leaders. Pratt flashed a rising shot inches wide then keeper Ibrahim got down well to push a Andy Watkins headers away. Other half chances came and went for City but in the end they had to settle for a point. The stalement keeps City top of the Vanarama National League South although Ebbsfleet United 3-1 win against Maidenhead United narrowed their lead to a single point.

Howells named August manager of the month (4/9/15)

After leading his side to six wins and a draw in August, City’s First Team Coach Lee Howells has been named the Vanarama National League South manager of the month. The voting panel commented: “It was a close call in August for this award mainly due to two clubs having almost identical records at the top of the division. The judging panel thought long and hard about this month’s recipient and decided that Lee edged it due to the fact most football aficionados would not have pinpointed the opening sequence of wins which The Romans have been on, with six wins and one draw. Affectionately known as Archie, his leadership has been vital in Bath setting the pace.”