September 2014

Pratt brace ensures Poole sunk in cup replay (30/9/14)

A goal in each half from top scorer Dave Pratt saw City avoid a FA Cup upset this evening as they beat Poole Town 2-0 to secure a 3rd Qualifying Round home tie against Shortwood United. Although Chas Hemmings had an early shot blocked it was the Southern League leaders who got into their stride first and were soon pushing City back. Their best opening came after a slip by the otherwise rock-solid Sekani Simpson which gave Hanlon a clear sight of goal but he dragged a shot tamely wide. Headers from Ben Adelsbury and Andy Watkins gave Poole a warning that City were still a threat and three minutes before the interval they broke the deadlock. Hemmings rose highest to head toward goal where keeper Hutchings allowed the ball to squirm loose and Pratt gratefully stabbed it home. The hosts continued to enjoy considerable possession into the second half but increasingly their attacks came to nothing and just past the hour mark City gave themselves breathing space with a second goal. Ashley Kington’s corner wasn’t dealt with by Walker allowing Pratt to fire home at the far post. Unlike in Saturday’s first game there was to be no late drama as City comfortably kept the Dolphins out after this and they will now face Shortwood United at Twerton Park on Saturday 11 October (ko 3pm).

Replay winners to face Shortwood in next round (29/9/14)

The winners of tomorrow evening’s FA Cup replay between City and Poole Town will face Shortwood United at home in the 3rd Qualifying Round following this morning’s draw.

New date for Somerset Premier Cup tie (28/9/14)

City’s 1st Round Somerset Premier Cup tie at Radstock Town has been put back one week to Monday 6 October (ko 7.30pm), following yesterday’s FA Cup draw with Poole Town. This means the Vanarama Conference South game against Gosport Borough scheduled for the following night will now take place on a new date to be confirmed in due course.

Last gasp equaliser denies City FA Cup progress (27/9/14)

City will have to travel to Dorset on Tuesday evening after a 90th minute equaliser from Poole Town denied them a place in the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round. Unsurprisingly the visitors – top of the Southern League Premier Division and unbeaten so far this season – began confidently and gave City a few nervous moments during the game’s opening stages. However, they couldn’t turn this bright start into goals and as the half progressed City began to exert greater control, though without looking particularly threatening going forward. The half ended with a number of passes going astray from the Dolphins and their players bickering amongst themselves, and their mood dropped even further four minutes after the restart when Ashley Kington’s stunning 20-yard volley gave City the lead. The post came to City’s rescue shortly after this but as they began to push Poole back a second goal looked only a matter of time. Dave Pratt reached a through ball ahead of Hutching’s but, when he finally got a shot in, it drifted over the bar and Chas Hemmings saw a couple of efforts fly narrowly wide. With just a single goal advantage City came under increasing pressure as the game reached it conclusion and they finally succumbed in the last minute. Twice, when the ball was lifted into the box, Jason Mellor appeared to be impeded in his attempts to claim but the referee allowed play to continue which allowed Brookes to net from close range. The replay will take place at the Tatnam Ground on Tuesday 30 September (ko 7.45pm).

U18s make FA Youth Cup progress (24/9/14)

City’s U18 side secured a place in the FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round last night with a 2-0 win over their Paulton Rovers counterparts. Billy Clark’s side got off to the perfect start when on just five minutes Jacob Sloggett’s free-kick deceived Rovers keeper Phillips to find the corner of the net. City largely controlled the game after this but it wasn’t until the final minute they guaranteed their passage through to the next round as Curtis Dunn headed home from a corner. They will now face Torquay United at home on a date to be confirmed.

U18s face Paulton Rovers in FA Youth Cup (24/9/14)

City’s U18 side travel to Winterfield Road tomorrow evening (25/9) to face Paulton Rovers in the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup. The game kicks off at 7.30pm.

Double delight for Pratt in Borough win (20/9/14)

City recorded their first Twerton Park victory of the season at the fifth time of asking this afternoon as a Dave Pratt brace saw them beat Eastbourne Borough by two goals to nil. The visitors enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges, Sekani Simpson clearing one effort from under his own crossbar, so it was slightly against the run of play when City took the lead on 20 minutes. A surging run from new signing Nick McCootie created the opening and his perfectly delivered cross was turned home by Pratt. From then on City took control of the game as their attacking line-up began to push the Sports back. When the second goal arrived in the closing seconds of the half, though, it was not without a hint of controversy. Another strong run from McCootie saw him go down under a challenge right on the edge of the box. Initially it appeared the referee would wave play on but the linesman flagged for a foul and Mr Knapp pointed to the spot. Once Eastbourne’s complaints had died down Pratt stepped up to fire home the penalty kick. The second period began with City still enjoying the upper hand as Chas Hemmings was denied a maiden goal when his deft chip was cleared off the line. He also crashed a shot against the bar, although had it been a few inches lower it would not have counted as City had already been awarded a free-kick. Eastbourne did a good spell midway through the half but City’s defence stood firm and it was the Romans who could have added to the scoring in the games closing stages.

City sign Nick McCootie from Paulton Rovers (18/9/14)

City are delighted to announce the signing of Nick McCootie from Paulton Rovers. Nick is a 25-year old forward whose goals helped fire Paulton to a Somerset Cup win and promotion to the Southern League Premier Division last season. He scored both goals in their 2-0 Play-Off Final win at Merthyr Town in May and is Paulton’s leading scorer so far this season with 5 league goals to his name. At over 6ft tall Nick will be a good addition to our attack. Paperwork has been submitted to the Football Conference and Nick is free to play in the FA Cup having not appeared in Paulton’s 3-1 win over Taunton Town in the last round. Welcome to Bath City Nick McCootie.

Best forward forward for sponsored walk (16/9/14)

On Saturday 20 September, the Supporters Club will be taking part in a 125th Anniversary sponsored walk. The walk will start at Twerton Park and then go to the sites of the club’s previous two grounds, at Belvoir and Lambridge, before returning to the current home. For further details click here.

City drawn to face Poole Town in the FA Cup (15/9/14)

City have been drawn at home to Poole Town in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round. The Dolphins are currently top of the Southern League Premier Division, having won eight and drawn one of their opening nine league games, and reached this stage of the competition with a 4-0 win over Bradford Town on Saturday. The tie will take place at Twerton Park on Saturday 27 September (ko 3pm).

Pratt on target to earn Stortford point (13/9/14)

City picked up another point on their travels in a 1-1 draw at Bishop’s Stortford this afternoon but also added a further casualty to their growing injury list. With Ben Adelsbury and Martin Slocombe joining longer term absentees Phil Walsh and Frankie Artus on the sidelines, the sight of Chris Allen getting stretchered off with an ankle injury late in the first half will be worrying one. The game itself saw City go behind after just eight minutes when a short corner led to Auger crossing for Church to turn the ball home. A great tackle by Ross Stearn and flying save from Jason Mellor prevented the home side increasing their lead and on the stroke of half-time a rare moment of attacking quality from City levelled the scores. Dave Pratt shrugged off the attention of two Stortford defenders before unleashing a stunning shot from 20-yards that flew in via the underside of the crossbar. The second half saw City energised by this goal, Stearn firing a free-kick straight at Wright then the keeper racing off his line to deny Andy Watkins. The hosts almost restored their lead on 76 minutes when Suarez’s flick brushed the outside of the post. Moments later City created the best opening of the half, Pratt crossing for Chas Hemmings but he couldn’t get enough on the ball from just five yards out allowing Allen to head off the line. Despite a late flurry from Stortford this was a close as either side would come and they had to settle for a deserved point apiece.

Patten completes Newport loan move (12/9/14)

City have completed a one month loan deal to bring highly-rated midfielder Kyle Patten to Twerton Park. The 19-year old signed a professional deal with County this week that will keep him at Rodney Parade until January 2015, which slightly delayed the registration with the Romans. City are now awaiting international clearance from FIFA ahead of naming him in the squad that travels to Bishop’s Stortford tomorrow.

City bounce back to overcome Stones (9/9/14)

City produced the perfect response to Saturday’s disappointing defeat against Whitehawk this evening with a 2-1 win at Vanarama Conference South newcomers Wealdstone. Ross Stearn and Dave Pratt were on target, and only the woodwork and several excellent saves from home keeper North prevented City enjoying a bigger win, before the Stones grabbed a stoppage time consolation goal. After an even opening to the game it was City who fashioned the first shot on target, North getting down well to deny Bobbie Dale. However, he could do nothing to prevent City taking lead four minutes before the interval, Stearn’s scissor kick from a Pratt cross finding the corner of the net. Wealdstone enjoyed their best spell of the game early in the second half, Jason Mellor producing an excellent save moments after the restart then a point-blank header failing to test the City no.1. The introduction of Andy watkins turned the game back in City’s favour though, his neat dummy seeing Dan Bowman strike the foot of the post, before his volley flew narrowly wide. Wealdstone were reduced to ten-men on 75 minutes when McGleish received a second caution for a late lunge on Dan Ball. Pratt’s shot then brought another excellent block from North and Stearn headed a Watkins cross over the bar. With five minutes left City made it 2-0 when another Watkins cross picked out Pratt to head home. Watkins then saw a header of his own come back off the bar before Malcolm curled a shot home in stoppage time to make it 2-1. There was still time for the home side to win a corner, which saw North race upfield to join his outfield teammates, but when this failed to clear the first defender the referee finally brought the game to an end.

City’s U18 side reached the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup on Monday evening with a 4-0 win at Larkhall Athletic. Thorne opened the scoring for City with a neat lob before Sloggett made it 2-0 from the penalty spot. Sloggett then netted his second and City’s third then substitute Davies completed the scoring. City will face Paulton Rovers in the next round on Wednesday 24 September at Winterfield Road (ko 7.30pm).

Whitehawk floor City in another home loss (6/9/14)

City suffered another heavy Twerton Park defeat this afternoon, losing 4-1 against Whitehawk, to remain at the foot of the Vanarama Conference South. For 40 minutes the game was evenly contested, with both sides struggling to overcome numerous interruptions from the referee, although it was City who had created the only clear-cut goal chances. Andy Watkins burst past several Hawks defenders on 12 minutes only for keeper Sullivan to push away his shot and Ashley Kington saw a 31st minute goalbound short blocked. However, three minutes before the interval a fortunate rebound sent Mills racing clear on goal and he slid the ball past Jason Mellor. Whitehawk were showing all the signs of being a typical Steve King side and they struck a second goal of the highest quality on 51 minutes, Kujabi’s 20 yard volley giving Mellor no chance. Mills netted his second eight minutes later, firing home after Deering’s inital shot had been blocked, before Deering went down under a Pat Keary challenge to win a 67th minute penalty that he confidently converted. Mellor denied Barnes-Homer with a smart save then City grabbed a consolation goal two minutes from time. Loan debutant Bobbie Dale was fouled in the box by Cadmore as he set himself to shoot and, after the defender had received a red card, Ross Stearn stepped up to net the penalty.

Double deal boosts injury hit squad (5/9/14)

City have made two short term deals to boost their squad ahead of tomorrow’s Vanarama Conference South home match against Whitehawk. 18-year old striker Bobby Dale has signed on a one month loan deal from Cheltenham Town whilst Kyle Patten, a 19-year old midfielder, has joined from Newport County. Dale will go straight into the squad to face the Hawks whilst Patten’s signing awaits international clearance. We welcome them both to the Club and hope they will have a successful period with us.

U18s begin home campaign at Twerton Park (3/9/14)

City’s U18 Academy side will open their South West Counties League home campaign at Twerton Park on Saturday 13 September against Cirencester Academy. The match kicks off at 10.30am and admission is free. Before that Billy Clark’s side make the short trip to Larkhall Athletic in the Preliminary Round of the FA Youth Cup on Monday 8 September (ko 7pm). Admission is £2 adults, free U16’s.

Thumbs up for Non-League Day (2/9/14)

Vanarama have today joined forces with Non-League Day and Matt Le Tissier to launch a campaign to break the attendance record at Vanarama Conference fixtures on 6th September, 2014 (Non-League Day). Core to the campaign is a “call to arms” to recruit personalities who love the game, to put their “thumbs up” for Non-League day and raise awareness. Van leasing business Vanarama will take to social media to encourage managers; players; media; celebrities; and of course fans to post pictures of their support using #thumbsup4NLD. The campaign will raise awareness of Non-League football to ALL football fans and ask them to go to support their local club on Saturday 6th September 2014 on a day when there are no Premier League or Championship fixtures. The target is to achieve a Non-League Day attendance of more than 50,000 at Vanarama Conference games on the day, breaking the existing record of 39,210 (2012). Vanarama, will make a donation on behalf of every fan attending a Vanarama Conference fixture to Prostate Cancer UK, the event’s charity. Based on last year’s attendance this will be a donation of £4,000. If the matchday attendance across the Vanarama Conference is higher than 50,000, Vanarama will donate at least £10,000. Full details can be found at To help raise awareness for the campaign, join Matt Le Tissier and others, and post pictures of you and your friends with ‘thumbs up’ to @Vanarama and using #thumbsup4NLD, or

Matt Le Tissier, Thumbs Up for Non-League Day Ambassador said: “Non-League Football is close to my heart and the lifeblood of the beautiful game in this country. I am excited to be supporting this campaign and encourage everyone to tweet their thumbs up photos and get down to their local club this coming Saturday. Let’s break the record and raise money for Prostate Cancer UK”.

Andy Alderson, Owner & Managing Director, Autorama Group said: “As a company of football fans, we are excited to be sponsoring the Vanarama Conference, and delighted to be supporting Non-League Day and Prostrate Cancer UK at the same time. We hope to help the clubs attract fans from the wider football family on this special day in the Football calendar. Thumbs Up for Non-League Day!”.