October 2015

Mohamed on target as City return to winning ways (31/10/15)

City recorded their first Vanarama National League South win since August 29 with a 2-0 victory over Chelmsford City at Twerton Park this afternoon, thanks to a stunning strike from Ben Adelsbury and a goal from Kaid Mohamed on his return to the Romans. Two early saves from Steve Phillips kept the visitors out and on 16 minutes Adelsbury collected the ball 25 yards out before unleashing a great shot that flew past Dibble in the Clarets goal. The visitors created several more good openings but again it was City who were clinical in front of goal as, in first half stoppage time, a corner found its way to Mohamed and he had the time and space to fire home. The second half saw Chelmsford enjoy the majority of possession but it was City who continued to pose the greater attacking threat as Mohamed was denied by good defending and Dave Pratt forced a flying save out of Dibble. In the closing stages Phillips did well again to block Skepelhorn’s low shot which allowed City to comfortably see out the game for a much needed three points.

Mohamed return amongst three new arrivals (29/10/15)

The Club is very pleased to announce three new signings in advance of this weekend’s fixture against Chelmsford City. We welcome Kaid Mohamed back to Twerton Park, initially for a ten week period. This opportunity has arisen because Kaid is unable to sign for a Football or National League side until the transfer window opens in January. Also signing are Ashley Yeoman, who joins us on a one month loan from Torquay United and Miles John, previously an U21 player with Bristol City, who has recently returned to the UK having played for Napier City Rovers in New Zealand and for whom international clearance has been received. All three should be available for this weekend and we look forward to seeing them in action.

Meanwhile Danny Barrow, who has trials lined up with clubs at Football and National League level, has had his registration cancelled. We wish him well for the future.

League arm(band) with RBL Poppy Appeal (29/10/15)

The National League is combining forces with The Royal British Legion over the forthcoming weeks to raise the awareness of their annual Poppy Appeal and how those financial contributions aid the sterling work done to support members of our armed forces who need care in our communities at this time.

All 68 National League clubs will be working in unison with their local branch of The Royal British Legion to oversee collections are held at each club and this will be supplemented through a unique partnership, whereby a specially produced ‘captains armband’ will be worn by each respective club captain at all matches to be played in The National League on Saturday 14th November.

Each armband will then be available for auction by the respective member club and it is hoped across the whole of The National League an additional £10,000 can be raised to supplement those amounts raised via ground collections and any other individual local arrangements around Remembrance Day.

Brian Barwick, Chairman of The National League remarked, “Each and every one of our member clubs already work within their communities in many varied ways, so we see this partnership as an extension of supplementing the sterling work many do. Raising awareness of the work undertaken by The Royal British Legion alongside the Poppy Appeal will enable more funding to be made available for those who have served their country and need our help. In 2015 we have sadly been reminded only too graphically of the dangers our service personnel face, so we are pleased to be able to work together to enhance the awareness of the Poppy Appeal. May I thank everyone taking part in this initiative for their valued contribution and we look forward to the auction of the ‘captains armbands’ raising even more needed extra funds”.

In response to his comments, Claire Rowcliffe, Head of Regional Fundraising with The Royal British Legion stated. “Having the support of The National League for this year’s Poppy Appeal means a lot. Funds raised will help us to continue providing vital support to serving individuals, those who are moving on or have moved back to civilian life, and importantly their families too.”

City annouce Street cup prices (28/10/15)

The admission prices for City’s Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round tie with Street at Twerton Park on Tuesday 10 November (kp 7.45pm) are as follows: Adults £6, Concessions £3 and U16s £1. Supporters attending the game are advised that only those with numbered spaces will be able to park as usual in the club car park. There will not be any other (£2) spaces available, unfortunately, because of a pre-booked event in Randall’s. Also there are no Family tickets available for Somerset Cup matches.

City suffer narrow FA Youth Cup defeat (23/10/15)

City’s U18 side missed out on an FA Youth Cup 1st Round trip to Oxford United last night when they lost 1-0 to Kidlington in the final qualifying round. In a contest where City enjoyed the greater possession but couldn’t turn that into clear-cut chances the deciding goal came from the penalty spot midway through the second half. Billy Clark’s side will look to bounce back from this disappointment tomorrow when they travel to Weymouth Terras for a South West Counties Youth League match.

Rearranged date for Jolly Boys Outing (20/10/15)

City have confirmed the new date for their Vanarama National League South trip to Margate. They will make their longest journey of the league season to Kent on Tuesday 17 November (ko 7.45pm).

City suffer first home league defeat (17/10/15)

City suffered their first home league defeat of the season this afternoon, losing 3-1 to ten-man Sutton United at Twerton Park. They were left to rue on several refereeing decisions and former winger Ross Stearn marking his return with a stunning early strike. Stearn took just five minutes to haunt his old club, cutting in from the left before unleashing a curling 25-yard shot that flew past Steve Phillips. Within three minutes though City were level after Frankie Artus was tripped in the box by Beckwith. He got up to fire home from the spot but moments later limped out of the game. The visitors restored their lead on 27 minutes when Eastmond got behind the City defence to slide the ball home but not before Andy Gallinagh was clearly fouled in the build up to the goal. City began the second half on top but just past the hour mark lightning struck again. Dan Ball was bundled over midway in the Sutton half but the referee took no action allowing the ball to be thumped downfield where McAllister got the better of Coupe to make it 3-1. Sutton were now content to time-waste at every opportunity and they managed to slow down even more when Wishart was shown a straight red card on 76 minutes for pulling down Andy Watkins as he burst clear. Sutton assistant manager soon followed him down the tunnel for petulantly throwing the ball away as Dan Ball tried to take a throw-in. City threw everything they could at Sutton and with five minutes left appeared to have reduced the arrears when Dave Pratt shot home. However, despite appearing to break forward from an onside position the assistant referee raised his flag. Although they got into several promising positions after this Sutton kept them at bay and it ended another disappointing and frustrating afternoon for the Romans.

City will face Street in the Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round at Twerton Park on Tuesday 10 November (ko 7.45pm).

Midfielder Chris Allen has joined Southern League Premier Division side Chippenham Town on a permanent basis. Chris made 113 appearances and scored eleven goals during his three years at City and the club wish him all the best with his new team.

Player news update (15/10/15)

By means of an update, following a blow to the head last Saturday, Nick McCootie was advised not to play for a week and we are hoping he will be fit to return this weekend. Andy Watkins was unavailable on Tuesday because of a long standing work commitment but will be back in action on Saturday.

Having signed on non-contract forms in the summer, we are pleased to announce that Brad Williams has accepted and signed a contract with the Club to the end of the current season.

Luke Matthews, having recoverd from his foot injury, has signed for Swindon Supermarine on dual registration to obtain game time at a senior level and, we look forward to him returning to Twerton Park in the future.

Meanwhile, Jon Davies has decided to leave the Club citing work commitments. He will rejoin his former manager, Nick Bunyard, at Frome Town. We thank him for his time at the Club and wish him well for the future.

City back Chronicle Poppy volunteer appeal (14/10/15)

City are pleased to help support the Bath Chronicle’s Poppy Volunteer Appeal. The paper is calling on you to spare an hour, morning, afternoon, evening or an entire day to sell poppies in support of serving and ex-serving personnel and their families. To support the work of the Royal British Legion, they hope to help it find 100 new poppy sellers in and around Bath. This year organisers behind the Poppy Appeal in Bath are hoping to raise even more money to give emotional, financial and practical help for those in need. For further details visit the Bath Chronicle website here.

City’s Cup hopes ended in replay defeat (13/10/15)

City’s crashed out of the FA Cup this evening losing 2-1 to Harlow Town at Twerton Park. The Ryman League Division 1 North side could even afford a penalty miss on their way to securing an Essex derby against Braintree Town in the 4th Qualifying Round. There was no sign of the events to come as City controlled the game for the opening half hour, although for all their possession they were creating little in the way of goalscoring chances. Then four minutes before the interval Harlow struck from their first sight of goal, Read racing onto a great through ball to shoot past Steve Phillips. City continued to look the higher division side into the second half but, with Andy Watkins and Nick McCootie both unavailable, they were desperately lacking a cutting edge, being largely restricted to long range efforts that rarely troubled keeper Freund. With eight minutes to go Harlow won a penalty, Dave Pratt bundling over Simms, but Steve Phillips brilliantly saved Read’s effort to keep City’s hopes alive. However, seconds after Freund has saved Frankie Artus’s rasping shot with his legs, Harlow broke away for substitute Perkins to make it 2-0. City finally got on the scoresheet with two minutes to go when Pratt headed home but despite six minutes of additional time they couldn’t fashion an equaliser, Artus and Kington blasting shots high over the bar to sum up a sorry night for the Romans.

Replay winners face trip to Braintree Town (12/10/15)

The winners of the tomorrow night’s replay between City and Harlow Town will face Vanarama National League side Braintree Town in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round following this morning’s draw.

Supporters attending the game tomorrow (13/10) as advised that only those with numbered spaces will be able to park as usual in the club car park. There will not be any other (£2) spaces available, unfortunately, because of a pre-booked event in Randall’s. Also there are no Family tickets available for any FA Cup/Trophy matches.

Watkins strike keeps FA Cup hopes alive (10/10/15)

A goal from Andy Watkins spared City from an FA Cup exit at the hands of Ryman League Division 1 North Harlow Town this afternoon as the Romans came from behind to draw 2-2. They got off to a perfect start on 10 minutes when a strong run by Nick McCootie saw him set up Chas Hemmings to net his first goal of the season. Frankie Artus and McCootie spurned chance to extend the lead as City took the game to home side. However, on 41 minutes they failed to clear a corner and Simms fired a low shot through a crowd of players past an unsighted Steve Phillips. And nine minutes after the restart Harlow took the lead, Dadson racing clear to slot past Phillips. Memories of last season’s FA Cup capitulation at East Thurrock would have been in the minds of all City followers especially when Dadson wasted a great chance moments later. Instead though it was City who levelled on 66 minutes. Home keeper Freund failed to hold Ashley Kington’s shot and Watkins turned home the rebound, although Harlow’s 3G pitch almost came to their rescue as he lost his footing as he shot but the ball rolled just the right side of the post. City were now back in control of the game but they couldn’t find a winning goal meaning the sides will meet again on Tuesday at Twerton Park (ko 7.45pm) for a place in the 4th Qualfying Round.

Admission prices for the replay will be: Adult standing £10, seating £11; Concessions standing £7, seating £8; Students/U18s standing £5, seating £6; U16s all areas £1.

Late winner secures FA Youth Cup progress (6/10/15)

City’s youth side left it as late as possible this evening to secure a 3rd Qualifying Round place in the FA Youth Cup, scoring with virtually the last kick of extra-time to overcome Taunton Town by three goals to two. With a penalty shoot-out looming substitute Nathan Cridge tried his luck from 30-yards and the ball flew into the net to spark jubilant scences amongst the City players. After the kick off was delayed due to the late arrival of the visitors, City got off to a great start with Nathan Flynn setting up Gavin Rochford-Smith to score on 15 minutes. However, Taunton levelled on 23 minutes when a free-kick went through keeper Mitchell Woolley’s hands. City were gifted the lead again in the 32nd minute when a back-pass ended up in the net but with three minutes left Taunton once again struck to take the game into extra-time. And it looked like Dyer’s goal would be the last of evening until Cridge’s stunning strike. City face a trip to either Kidlington or Harrow Borough in the next round.

City draw blank against winless Basingstoke (3/10/15)

City endured a disappointing afternoon at Twerton Park as they were held to a goalless draw by struggling Basingstoke Town. The visitors came into the clash as the only Vanarama National League South side without a league win this season so far and showed why for much of the game, but City could only fashion one decent chance as their winless league run inreased to six games. The first half was particularly devoid of quality and excitement, City reduced to a couple of half-chances for Ashley Kington, Matt Coupe and Andy Gallinagh and Basingstoke not managing even that. City did begin the second half slightly more positively, Frankie Artus heading straight at Howe then Nick McCootie dragging a shot wide when well placed. Just as this bright spell was fizzling out City came within inches of taking the lead. A rare moment of quality saw Jon Davies latch onto a McCootie flick, cut inside a defender and curl a shot that clipped the outside of the post. Both sides had a few nervous moments in their box after this and City did force a couple of late sights of goal, Kington shooting against Howe’s legs then Pratt firing wide, but it was perfectly fitting that the game ended goalless. The draw kept City in fourth place but saw the Dragon’s slip to the foot of the table.

City have been drawn at home to Street in the Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round. The date of the tie will be confirmed shortly.

Students for a quid at Saturday’s match (1/10/15)

With students returning to Bath this week, City are offering them the chance to get in to this Saturday’s Vanarama National League South match versus Basingstoke Town (ko 3pm) for only £1 (standing or sitting). To redeem this discount, simply show your NUS card at the nominated turnstile.