October 2014

Newport recall Patten from loan spell (30/10/14)

Newport County have recalled midfielder Kyle Patten from his loan deal with City due to injury problems at the League 2 side. The 20-year old made 2 starts and 5 substitute appearances for the Romans and the club wishes to thank him for his time with City and wish him well on his return to his parent Club.

City crash to humiliating FA Cup defeat (25/10/14)

City crashed to their heaviest FA Cup defeat in 68 years this afternoon, as they were humiliated 7-1 by Ryman League East Thurrock United. Remarkably, given what was to follow, City took a deserved lead on 32 minutes when Dan Ball won possession midway in the Rocks half, advanced toward goal before unleashing a fine 25-yard shot into the net. However, within a minute the hosts levelled, Higgins’ effort beating Jason Mellor at his near post, and from then on the game spiralled out of City’s control. Smith took advantage of further poor defending five minutes later to put East Thurrock in front and, within three minutes of the restart, he won a penalty following Keary’s challenge, which Higgins converted. Any lingering hopes of a fight back disappeared as City conceded two further goals before the hour mark. First, Mellor failed to hold Higgins’ free-kick giving Parmenter a simple tap-in, then a long-throw was allowed to bounce through to Higgins to complete his hat-trick. Smith was then gifted the time and space to add goal number six on 71 minutes before a slip by Keary allowed Bryant to lift the ball over Mellor and complete the rout seven minutes from time.

Thumbs up for Non League Day’s success as Vanarama donates thousands to Prostate Cancer UK (22/10/14)

Commercial vehicle leasing business Vanarama, sponsor of the Vanarama Conference, together with Prostate Cancer UK are thanking football fans for their support, after raising thousands of pounds for the charity on Non League Day 2014. Vanarama, linked with former Southampton FC and England legend Matt Le Tissier to champion the day, and pledged to make a donation to the charity on behalf of every fan attending a Vanarama ConferenceFixture on Non-League Day. After a hugely successful broadcast and social media campaign, a total of 38,675 fans attended across Vanarama Conference fixtures,resulting in £7735 being donated to the charity – certainly one in the back of the net for Non-League Day and Prostate Cancer UK! Non League Day started in 2010. Always scheduled to coincide with an international break, it provides a platform for clubs to promote the importance of affordable volunteer led community football while giving fans across the country the chance to show support for their local non-league side. To raise the profile of the day Vanarama launched a five day broadcast and social media campaign, #thumbsup4nld. Football celebrities and grass roots fans alike were asked to tweet a picture of themselves putting their ‘thumbs up’ for Non-League Day and encouraging others to get down to their local club to watch the match.

“We are delighted with the success of Non-League Day 2014,” explains Vanarama’s Managing Director, Andy Alderson. “As well as raising vital funds for Prostate Cancer UK, we were overwhelmed with the way the fans engaged with the thumbs up campaign. More than 4,600 unique hashtag tweets and in excess of 30 million timeline deliveries were made for, #thumbsup4nld. Importantly, behind the stats the real warmth, humour and depth of feeling for the Vanarama Conference, evident in the tweets, was heart-warming.

Encouraging growth in grass roots football is vital to our nation’s game. We were just shy of the all time attendance record for Non-League Day. This is our first year of sponsorship of the Conference, so from a standing start we’re really proud of that. Raising thousands for charity to boot makes it even more worthwhile.”

Mark Bishop, Director of Fundraising, Prostate Cancer UK, said: “Using football as a way of talking to men about a disease that kills one man every hour has proved incredibly powerful. Reaching out through the grassroots game has helped us spread our net further through clubs and supporters. We’re so grateful to the fantastic backing from Vanarama, over a hugely successful weekend. By so generously doubling their donation they are helping us in our quest to save men’s lives”

Unbeaten run ends in tale of two penalties (18/10/14)

City’s nine-game unbeaten run was ended this afternoon with a single goal defeat to Bromley in a game that hinged on a penalty kick for both sides. Whilst City’s top scorer Dave Pratt fired his effort against the post in the first half, Robertson made no mistake from 12 yards after the interval. However, in a largely even contest City can justifiably feel they came out on the wrong side of several decisions by the officials that affected the final outcome. The home side started the game strongly but slowly City stemmed this early pressure and began to enjoy a good spell of their own. And on half hour this looked to have culminated in an opening goal when a late run by Pratt saw him head home Ross Stearn’s free-kick only for the linesman’s flag to halt the celebrations. Eight minutes later a poor back pass sent Nick McCootie racing clear where Brown pulled him down after he’d knocked the ball past the keeper. It was a clear penalty and Bromley – with no replacement keeper on the bench – were facing over half the game with 10 men and an outfield player between the posts. However, to the clear astonishment of the City players the referee only showed Brown a yellow card. And City’s sense of injustice was deepened – though this time of their own doing – when Pratt beat Brown but not the post. Pratt almost took advantage of another mistake by the Ravens, shooting narrowly wide just before the break, but it was the hosts who started the second half on top again. Their goal came out of nowhere though just past the hour when an overhit cross saw a number of players end up on the floor. The referee saw this as an infringement by a City player – possibly debutant Pierce Mitchell – and pointed to the spot from where Robertson sent Jason Mellor the wrong way. Boosted by this break Bromley came close to adding to their lead, Mellor saving well from Dennis and Andy Gallinagh clearing Ademola’s shot off the line. City were struggling to get back in the game now – Ross Stearn firing a free kick inches wide and Andy Watkins going down under a challenge in the box that the referee took no interest in – and Bromley looked the more likely to add to the scoring during the closing stages of the game.

New date for Gosport Borough game (16/10/14)

City have announced a new date for their home match with Gosport Borough. The Boro’ will travel to Twerton Park on Tuesday 18 November (ko 7.45pm).

Rovers defender Mitchell arrives on month’s loan (15/10/14)

City have strengthened their injury-hit squad, signing Bristol Rovers defender Pierce Mitchell on a one month loan deal. The 18-year old, who featured for the Gas in the pre-season meeting with City at Twerton Park back in July, has already enjoyed a spell in the Vanarama Conference South this season with Weston Super Mare and goes straight into the squad to face Bromley on Saturday.

City’s 2nd Round Somerset Premier Cup tie at home to Shepton Mallet will take place on Tuesday 11 November (ko 7.45pm).

City make short work of Shortwood cup replay (14/10/14)

City comfortably negotiated another tricky away FA Cup replay this evening, beating Shortwood United by three goals to one to secure a 4th Qualifying Round trip to East Thurrock United. After coming within three minutes of losing to the Southern League Division 1 side on Saturday, City settled any early nerves by going ahead on just six minutes, birthday boy Nick McCootie firing home from six yards out. The second goal arrived seven minutes before the interval when Ben Adelsbury’s shot through a crowded goalmouth beat King in the host’s goal. This was no more than City deserved and only a linesman’s flag denied Dave Pratt a goal four minutes later. However, their dominance was rewarded on 54 minutes, Pratt crossing for Andy Watkins to slide home the third goal. With City content now to sit back on their lead, Shortwood enjoyed their best spell of the game but it wasn’t until stoppage time they grabbed a consolation goal through Bennett.

Patten loan extended to second month (13/10/14)

City have extended Kyle Patten’s loan deal from Newport County for a second month. Bobbie Dale has returned to Cheltenham Town after a month at Twerton Park, having made one start and three substitute appearances, and the club wishes him all the best in his future career.

Replay winners to face East Thurrock United (13/10/14)

The draw for the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round has paired either City or Shortwood United with Ryman Premier League side East Thurrock United. City have only previously faced the Rocks once, winning a 2008-09 FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round tie 5-1 at Twerton Park. City and Shortwood United will face each other in Gloucestershire tomorrow (14/10) evening (ko 7.45pm) with the trip to East Thurrock scheduled for Saturday 25 October.

City dig deep to keep FA Cup dreams alive (11/10/14)

City came within three minutes of crashing out the FA Cup to Southern League Division 1 South & West side Shortwood United at Twerton Park this afternoon before Chas Hemmings struck to take the game to a replay in Stroud on Tuesday night. There was little sign of the excitement to come during the opening 35 minutes as City controlled the tie and it looked only a matter of time before the took the lead, with Pat Keary, Hemmings, Ben Adelsbury and Dave Pratt all seeing presentable chances come and go. However, on 37 minutes Shortwood, from their first effort on goal, went ahead, Sommers heading Bennett’s cross past Jason Mellor. The visitors spurned a great opening to make it 2-0 early in the second half, Haddock lifting a shot over the bar, and this miss signalled City gaining the upper hand again. Andy Watkins had a goalbound header blocked by a defender’s hand, the referee waving away the penalty appeals, Hemmings headed too close to keeper King and Ashley Kington saw a shot blocked. Just when it was looking like being one of those afternoon’s Hemmings rose highest to head a 76th minute corner against the underside of the bar and, although it looked like the ball had crossed the line, Adelsbury avoided having to rely on the officials making a decision by stabbing it over the line. Remarkably having rarely looked an attacking threat five minutes later Shortwood were back in front when former City midfielder Josh Egan’s cross-shot was steered home by Haddock. Shortwood were now throwing themselves in front of everything City could muster but three minutes from time Hemmings collected the ball just inside the box to curl a perfect shot into the corner of the net. If either side was going to grab a last gasp winner City looked the likelier, but instead the lower league side came within the width of the post of winning the tie, Bennett the unfortunate player. The replay will take place on Tuesday 14 October (ko 7.45pm).

The 4th Qualifying Round draw will be broadcast live on talkSPORT in the Colin Murray show from 10.30am.

U18s bow out of FA Youth Cup with Gulls loss (8/10/14)

City’s U18 side bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the 2nd Qualifying Round stage this evening in a 3-0 home defeat to Torquay United. After an even opening 20 minutes the visitors took the lead thanks to Coleman’s shot that found the net via a post. Billy Clark’s side continued to enjoy good spells of possession but it was the Gulls who always looked to pose a greater attacking threat and they struck again on 71 minutes, although not without a little bit of good fortune when the ball deflected into the net off a City player after an initial shot had hit the post. Torquay added a third in the closing stages with the pick of the evening’s goals, Melanson producing an exquisite chip from just inside the area.

City have confirmed that admission prices for their FA Cup match against Shortwood United on Saturday will be the same as for league games.

Young City side enjoy County Cup victory (6/10/14)

City eased into the Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round with a 2-0 win at Rasdtock Town this evening. Fielding a side comprising of their youth and academy sides plus first team striker Nick McCootie and player coach Jim Rollo, a goal in each half was enough to overcome the Western League Division 1 side. City did suffer an early scare when a long range shot came back off the bar with keeper Josh Barrington beaten but on eight minutes a corner was headed goalwards where James Stinson applied the final touch. The second goal arrived midway through the second half when Elliott Gibbons was tripped in the box and McCootie stroked home the penalty. The home side kept going right to the end and only a great finger tip save from Barrington denied them a late consolation. City will face a home tie against Shepton Mallet in the next round during the week commencing November 10.

City stun Sutton with second half fightback (4/10/14)

City produced a stunning second half performance this afternoon to beat Sutton United 3-1 at Gander Green Lane, after going into the interval a goal down. The first half was largely forgettable fare, not helped by a playing surface made tricky due to heavy rain. The conditions almost gifted Sutton the lead midway through the half when Jason Mellor slipped to give Reindorf what appeared a simple chance from a few yards out. However, he managed to shoot against the keeper initially then stab the rebound wide. This miss was forgotten five minutes from half-time when ex-City player Hart’s cross found Binns at the far post to shoot under Mellor. The second half saw City switch to a three-man attack and they were soon pusing the home side back. Kyle Patten headed narrowly over, Ashley Kington had an effort blocked then Chas Hemmings raced clear only for Julian to parry his shot. The pressure finally told on 69 minutes though, Hemmings winning possession to feed Ross Stearn who has fouled in the box by Spillane. The defender was shown a red card and Dave Pratt stepped up to fire home the penalty kick. The U’s did not let this double setback affect them and enjoyed a good spell but with eight minutes left they were rocked again when Ben Adelsbury picked up the ball 30 yards from goal before unleashing a stunning shot that flew past Julian. City completed the victory in stoppage time, Stearn crossing for Pratt to net his ninth goal of the season, and climbed five places to 14th in the Vanarama Conference South table.

Date for U18s FA Youth Cup Torquay clash (1/10/14)

City’s U18 side will face Torquay United at Twerton Park on Wednesday 8 October (ko 7.30pm) in the FA Youth Cup 2nd Qualifying Round. Admission prices are Adults £3, U16’s £1.