October 2006

Trio of City legends return for night of nostalgia at Twerton Park (30/10/06)

City fans will get the chance to meet three of the clubs recent stars in a Legends Night to be held at Twerton Park on Friday 1 December. John Freegard, Paul Randall and Tony Ricketts made over 800 City appearances between them and the evening will include film of some of their finest moments in black and white stripes. Entry is £5 for Supporters Club and Society members or £7.50 without the concession and tickets can be bought from the club by ringing (01225) 42087.

A week later (Friday 8 December) another fund raising event will see Ken Loach hold an evening entitled “A view of Football, Film and Freedom – Part 1 ‘Kes’ revisited” at Twerton Park. World renowned director and City fan Loach will be joined by the film’s star David Bradley. Tickets are £12, £10 for Little Theatre members and Bath City Supporters Club/Society members or £8 students and they can also be obtained from the club.

Sittingbourne replay victory sets City on FA Trophy path to Kent (25/10/06)

Sittingbourne beat Arslesy Town by two goals to one last night to earn the right to face City in the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy. The meeting with the Ryman League Division 1 South side will take place in Kent on Saturday 4 November (ko 3pm). The Brickies currently lie 5th in thier division with five wins from their opening nine games. The tie will give City the chance to correct one of their most embarrassing defeats in recent years. It was in February 1998 that promotion hopefuls City travelled to Sittingbourne’s huge Central Park former home to face the relegation strugglers. However, four goals in the space of 17 first half minutes flew past Mark Hervin and even consolation goals from Ian Hedges and Mark Harrington couldn’t disguise the dreadful outcome. The game was also infamous for the return of Deion Vernon and the single outings for Andrew Catley and Ian Murphy, who was sent off after just 30 minutes.

City’s 2nd Round Somerset Premier Cup meeting with Taunton Town will take place at Twerton Park on Tuesday 21 November (ko 7.45pm).

Arek double propells City to FA Trophy victory (21/10/06)

Two goals from Arek Zarczynski helped City overcome stubborn resistance from Bishops Cleeve at Twerton Park this afternoon and move into the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy. After a typically slow start City began to get on top as the first half progressed and with three minutes remaining before the break the Polish striker headed home a great Craig Davidge centre. Despite the visitors only attacking approach seemingly long balls forward on to the head of tall no.7 Curtis, five minutes into the second half they found themselves level. A moment of madness form keeper Paul Evans saw him race form goal only to be left stranded when the ball broke to Curtis, leaving him with an empty net that he rolled the ball into from 40 yards. City, to their credit, didn’t let this blow affect them and, after Scott Rogers and Davidge had struck shots against the crossbar, Zarczynski restored the lead with a great close range finish. Scott Partridge and Zarczynski came close to extending this lead as City comfortably saw the game out.

Pepperell released but replacement striker already lined-up (20/10/06)

City have released striker Nat Pepperell. The 18-year old former Swansea City player signed in the summer after impressing in pre-season but he has failed to live up to this promise, failing to score in his six starts and four substitute appearances. He looks set to join fellow British Gas Business League side Tiverton Town who he also had a trial with during the close season and are located nearer his Taunton home.

Boss John Relish has already got a replacement for Pepperell in sight in the form of ex-Newport County top scorer John Phillips. The pacy 21-year old has already been training with the club having played for League of Wales side Llanelli last season.

Midfielder Dean Clarke looks set for several monthd on the sidelines after picking up a facial injury against Clevedon Town last week. The 29-year old will have an operation on his jaw on Monday.

Performance is poles apart but still City can’t break Twerton Park duck (15/10/06)

Despite a vastly improved performance from the Clevedon debacle City are still looking for their first home win of the season after yesterday’s 1-1 draw with Yate Town. Bizzarely, given how City had struggled against a side attacking them with pace on Tuesday, the visitors looked to slow the game down right from the start. They paid for this negative approach on 29 minutes when Arek Zarzynski headed home from Scott Rogers’ cross. Lewis Hogg almost doubled this lead shortly afterwards and City deservedly lead at the break. The second hald saw Yate go more direct but it took a stroke of good fortune for them to level after 64 minutes. Having already lost Gethin Jones with an ankle injury, his replacement Chris Holland was off the pitch receiving treatment when Edwards fired a shot across Paul Evans into the corner of the net. After this both sides had chances to win the game but even when former City defender Dave Elsey saw red for an incident with Craig Davidge, City couldn’t make their man advantage count.

Maidenhead United’s victory in the FA Cup today means City’s league meeting with them scheduled for Saturday 28 October has been cancelled.

Mystery surrounds Pridham decision to quit as director (12/10/06)

Former boss Alan Pridham has stepped down from his position as a City director citing a lack of time and personal reasons “between me and the board” for the decision. He returned to Twerton Park in June 2005, and one of his first tasks was to help appoint current manager John Relish, a position he held between May 2001 and November 2003. The high point of that spell was the last day victory at Worcester City in 2002 that helped City retain their Southern League place but it ended when he was sacked and replaced by Gary Owers 18 months later.

Title aspirations left looking hollow after Clevedon horror show (10/10/06)

City’s title aspirations were left looking somewhat hollow this evening after they were embarrassingly outclassed for 45 minutes by Clevedon Town. The Seasiders were 3-0 up at the interval and City could have had no complaints, in fact they could easily have been five goals down. By the time Clevedon opened the scoring on seven minutes through Hapgood’s 20-yard free-kick they had already spurned three good openings. However, it took them only another ten minutes to double their lead, Pitcher heading home from close range. And it was soon 3-0, Hapgood scoring his second after stand-in keeper Richard Fey had blocked a shot. At the interval Craig Davidge and Sekani Simpson replaced Chris Holland and Steve Jones, and City dominated the second half with Lewis Hogg and Arek Zarczynski hitting the frame of the goal, Hogg having a goal disallowed and several other clear openings going begging, but the damage had long since been done.

To cap a night City will quickly want to forget their youth side crashed out of the FA Youth Cup, losing by four goals to nil at Cirencester.

Hogg double fires City to comfortable Cheshunt victory (8/10/06)

City could even afford a missed penalty before running out comfortable 2-0 winners over a woeful Cheshunt side yesterday. Scott Rogers saw his weak 3rd minute spot kick saved by keeper Peat and this preceeded a fortgettable 30 minutes where neither side seemed capable of retaining possession. However, ten minutes before the interval Lewis Hogg found space in the box to fire home and from then on a City win never looked in doubt. Scott Partridge had a header disallowed for offside shortly afterwards and then Hogg saw a free-kick deflected onto the bar midway through the second half. Finally, in the 73rd minute City scored again, Hogg following up his initial shot that Peat blocked to lift the ball over the scrambling keeper.

City will face Bishops Cleeve in the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy after the Gloucestershire side beat Newport IOW yesterday. The tie will take place at Twerton Park on Saturday 21 October (ko 3pm).

City look to Poland (via Forest Green) to solve striking troubles (7/10/06)

Polish striker Aradiusz Zarczynski has signed for City on non-contract terms following his release from Conference strugglers Forest Green Rovers. The 6’1 31-year old player is a former Poland youth international and has played for Swiss side FC Sion and in Germany at FC Magdeburg. Arek joined Forest Green in August but only made three substitute appearances and his contract expired last night following his non-playing substitute outing in Rovers’ 5-1 defeat at home to Oxford United. He is set to start today’s meeting with Cheshunt alongside top scorer Scott Partridge.

City bring in former Forest Green Rovers defender Simpson for trial (6/10/06)

City have signed defender Sekani Simpson on a month’s trial as they attempt to fill the gap left by the retirement of Jon Holloway. The 22-year old former Bristol City trainee had being playing for Conference South side Weston Super Mare before being released last week and played for Forest Green Rovers during the 2005-06 season, where he was a first team regular. He goes straight into the squad to face Cheshunt tomorrow.

City have been linked with another Forest Green Rovers player, striker Aradiusz Zarczynski. The Gloucester Citizen reports that the Polish born 31-year old is to join City when his contract with Rovers expires after their meeting with Oxford United this evening.

Former youth team captain Adam Shackell has switched from Paulton Rovers to Trowbridge Town on a loan deal.

Striker search continues after City miss out on Forinton (5/10/06)

City have failed in their bid to bring former Yeovil Town striker Howard Forinton to Twerton Park. The 31-year old, who is currently playing for fellow British Gas Business Footbal League side Banbury United, met with City over the weekend but being based in Leamington decided to remain with the Puritans. However, John Relish has immediately turned his attention to another target that he initially chased during the summer.

Relish also confirmed that he hopes to bring a new defender, thought to be former Forest Green Rovers and Weston Super Mare full-back Sekani Simpson, to the club in the next few days.

With injuries and suspensions paring City’s squad done to the bare bones Phil Walsh’s loan spell with Paulton Rovers has been put on hold.

FA Cup hopes for another season over after five-goal Merthyr thriller (3/10/06)

City crashed out of the FA Cup this evening as they finished on the wrong end of a five-goal thriller against Merthyr Tydfil that also saw both sides finish with just ten men on the pitch. The home side took the lead on 17 minutes when Billing headed a corner up into the air but somehow the ball dropped into the net. After 34 minutes City were level, Mike Green firing home from 12 yards. However, the Welsh went into the interval ahead when Kift burst through City’s backline to slot the ball past Paul Evans. This deficit was harsh on City but it almost got worse early in the second half after Steins shot wide with just Evans to beat. Merthyr were now happy to sit back and try to catch City on the break and they looked to have paid for this approach with 12 minutes left when Lewis Hogg’s 25-yard shot went straight through the grasp of keeper Morris. Within a minute City were behind again, Billing heading home at the far post, but his over-exuberant celebration only ended with a 2nd yellow card. City failed to take advantage of their extra man and in stoppage time the numbers were evened up as Chris Holland saw red for two bookable offences and with it their FA Cup dreams for another season.

Slimbridge next up for City if they can repeat replay success (2/10/06)

If City can overcome Merthyr Tydfil in their FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round replay tomorrow night they will face a home tie with Hellenic League side Slimbridge in the next round. The Gloucestershire-based side are currently unbeaten this season and have already beaten British Gas Business Football League Premier Division sides Yate Town and Chippenham Town in previous rounds. The 3rd Qualifying Round tie will take place on Saturday 14 October.

Relish lines up two new signings as Walsh heads out on loan (2/10/06)

City manager John Relish has lined up two new signings that he hopes to complete in the next day or two. The players, including a defender and an experienced Southern League striker, are required with the retirement of Jon Holloway and the deal that has seen striker Phil Walsh join Paulton Rovers on a month loan. A toe injury has restricted the 22-year old to just two starts this season, and he has yet to score a goal, and the move to the British Gas Business Football League Western Division side is with a view to gaining match fitness.

Jono set for break from game to overcome ongoing injury problems (1/10/06)

Jon Holloway may have played his final game for City after announcing that he is to take a break from the game. The 29-year old has only started three games for City this season due to back and hamstring problems and this has played a major part in his decision. In two spells at Twerton Park Jon made 143 appearances, scoring 21 goals, the last of which was in last Saturday’s 1-1 draw with King’s Lynn. City will retain his registration.

City see red again in another FA Cup stalemate (1/10/06)

City will face their second FA Cup replay of the season on Tuesday evening in Wales after they drew 0-0 with Merthyr Tydfil at Twerton Park yesterday. As in the previous round against Tiverton Town both sides had chances to win the game and City finished the match with ten men, this time captain Jim Rollo seeing red for two bookable offences. The first half was just shaded by City, although they only had three strong penalty shouts to show during this period. After the break the visitors took command, twice hitting the bar and bringing a stunning one-handed save out of Paul Evans. Rollo then exited for his early bath with the 90 minutes just about up, before City almost stole a win in stoppage time, Scott Partridge’s shot through a crowded penalty area superbly pushed away by keeper Morris.