October 2001

Second half improvement not quite enough to prevent home defeat (23/10/01)

After finding themselves two goals down with just 12 minutes on the clock City improved sufficiently in the second half to give opponents Crawley Town a few nervous moments but they couldn’t prevent them leaving Twerton Park tonight with a 2-1 win. A first minute strike from Carroll and a Bagnell goal eleven minutes later did the damage but when Thomas headed home Gosling’s cross after 58 minutes an unlikely comeback looked possible. However, with manager Alan Pridham confined to the stand following a seven day touchline ban imposed by the Somerset FA and vital front man Paul Milsom absent with food poisoning, City couldn’t find a way though the Red Devils backline for a second time.

Badman makes Twerton Park move as part of Wyatt deal (22/10/01)

Clevedon Town midfielder Mark Badman has joined City in the deal that saw Mike Wyatt make the opposite journey. The former Bristol City player, who joined Clevedon in July 1999, was a target for manager Alan Pridham during the summer but the Dr Martens Western Division side turned down City’s approaches. However, with Wyatt leaving Twerton Park the deal was resurrected and Badman goes straight into the squad for tomorrow’s night clash against Crawley Town.

City’s reserve side continued their excellent start to the season on Saturday with a 5-1 victory over previously unbeaten Exmouth Town. Two goals each from Pete Macklin and Simeon Allison plus a Lee Burns free-kick gave Dave Burns’ side their ninth win in ten games and stretched their lead at the top of Screwfix Western League Division One to four points.

City find late arrival much more to their away day liking (21/10/01)

Despite having just ten minutes to warm-up, following their late arrival due to the closure of the M4, City recorded their first away win of the season by three goals to one over Cambridge City. All the goals came in the first half of the game, which finally kicked off at 3.35pm, with City racing into a two-goal lead after Wooding turned a Thomas cross past his own keeper before Milsom converted another Thomas centre from close range to open his account for City. Just 18 minutes had passed but seven minutes before the interval a 20-yard shot by Cambridge debutant Nacca reduced the arrears. However, five minutes later a Gosling cross was handled in the area and the same player converted from the penalty spot. The second half saw Cambridge dominate possession without ever really threatening Hervin’s goal and at just past five-thirty the referee’s whistle signalled the end of an excellent day for City.

Another player has joined Sam Allison in making the switch to Clevedon Town with Mike Wyatt ending his short return to City by joining the Western Division side.

Next Saturday’s Dr Martens League clash with Hinckley Town has been postponed due to the Leicestershire side’s continued involvement in the FA Cup. The match has been rearranged for Tuesday 6 November, although that is subject to neither team being involved in an FA Trophy replay.

Moor Green run out comfortable winners in day to forget for City (16/10/01)

Having missed Saturday’s defeat against Moor Green due to a one match suspension for his sending off against Bideford, City keeper Mark Hervin may face a further three match ban after he was accused of using foul and abusive language following the dismissal. The report from teenage referee Simon Knapp, who also sent Mike Wyatt off later in the game, alleges Hervin directed a verbal assult at him after his 9th minute red card, a charge that the keeper strongly denies. The club will respond to the charge later this week before the FA decides whether to investigate the matter further.

Transfer listed striker Sam Allison looks set to join Dr Martens Western Division side Clevedon Town. The 21-year old will train with the Hand Stadium club tonight before completing a £500 later this week. And another player on his way from Twerton Park, albeit only temporarily, is Jamie Mills who has joined Swindon Supermarine on a months loan.

Graham MacLean, who also missed the Moor Green match with an knee injury, looks set to be on the sidelines for at least two weeks. The injury, sustained in the closing minutes of the win over Newport County following a two footed tackle, comes after the striker had forced his way back into Alan Pridham’s first team plans with a series of impressive reserve outings.

City have announced that their Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday 15 November at Twerton Park.

Moor Green run out comfortable winners in day to forget for City (13/10/01)

In the only Dr Martens Premier Division game of the day City missed a golden opportunity to pull themselves clear of the relegation zone, losing by two goals to nil against Moor Green at Twerton Park. Despite the Birmingham side looking as bad, if not worse, than City at times they never looked like relinquishing the lead after Petty had fired past reserve keeper Liam Bull in the 14th minute. The second goal came in stoppage time at the end of the match when Crisp turned the ball home following a goalmouth scramble. In between City huffed and puffed but with top scorer Adrian Foster missing with a calf injury a way back into the game never appeared likely. The only other point to add was the game contained one of the most inept refereeing performances you are ever likely to witness at a football match but I won’t go off on one as I’ll only be accused of sour grapes!!

Thomas turns from villan to hero as City record Newport victory (9/10/01)

Bradley Thomas was the goalscoring hero tonight as his second half strike helped City record their second victory of the season. In direct contrast to the first clash between the sides this season, where Thomas was sent off, the former Newport player headed home Jamie Gosling’s cross on 64 minutes to double City’s lead after Adrian Foster’s sixth goal of the season had put them ahead in the first half. This goal came after the hard working Paul Milsom charged down keeper’s Mountain clearance and unselfishly squared to City’s top scorer. Former City striker Martin Paul, who managed to stay upright for the majority of this game, saw one shot come back off the post but it wasn’t until three minutes from time that the Welsh side pulled a goal back, sub Plant firing home from close range. However, City held on for the vital victory which moves them three points clear of the relegation zone, and just another three behind their big spending opponents.

Transfer listed Sam Allison won’t play for City again (8/10/01)

City boss Alan Pridham has confirmed that want-away Sam Allison has pulled on a black and white shirt for the final time. The former Cirencester Academy striker was placed on the transfer list at the weekend and seems certain to be the first departure as Pridham looks to prune his increasingly large squad. Another player who appears to be on his way out, although only in a loan deal in this case, is midfielder Jamie Mills, with Chippenham Town the likely destination.

Injury time strike leaves City on the wrong end of seven goal thriller (6/10/01)

A goal two minutes into stoppage time condemned City to another home defeat, this time at the hands of fellow early season strugglers Hednesford Town. In a fluctuating match City had lead 2-0, through goals from Williams and Foster, only to find themselves trailing 3-2 midway through the second half, before Foster levelled the match again with his second goal. However, at the same time England were grabbing their last gasp passage to Japan and South Korea Hednesford sealed their first away win of the season.

City make loan move for Yeovil midfielder Glenn Poole (3/10/01)

In the wake of the shock FA Cup exit at the hands of Western League Bideford, City have moved to strengthen their midfield by signing Glenn Poole from Yeovil Town on one months loan. The former Tottenham youth player, who can play at either left midfield or wing-back, has struggled to earn a regular starting place at last seasons Conference RUNNERS-UP and arrives at Twerton park looking for a spell of first team football.

City have also moved to fill the gap in their fixture list caused by the 3-1 Bideford defeat, bringing forward the home clash with Moor Green from December 22 to Saturday 13 October. The reserve teams match with Clyst Rovers, scheduled to be played at Twerton Park on that date, has been switched to the Devon side’s Waterslade Park ground.