November 2016

Player news (30/11/16)

The Club is pleased to announce that midfielder Billy Murphy has agreed to extend his contract until the end of 2017-18 season.

And Sekani Simpson has signed on a dual registration deal. The defender, who previously made 376 appearances for City before joining Weston Super Mare in March 2016, is currently playing for Clevedon Town in the Western League Premier Division.

Wellington tie OFF due to frozen pitch (29/11/16)

Following the sub-zero temperatures overnight City’s Twerton Park pitch has remained frozen in places meaning tonight’s Somerset Premier Cup tie against Wellington AFC has had to unfortunately be postponed. A new date will be confirmed shortly.

City face Sutton Utd trip in FA Trophy (28/11/16)

City face a trip to Vanarama National League side Sutton United in the Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round proprer following the draw this lunchtime. The tie will take place at Gander Green Lane on Saturday 10 December (ko 3pm).

Harvey on the double in Trophy victory (26/11/16)

Two goals from on loan striker Tyler Harvey was enough to see City progress in the Buildbase FA Trophy at the expense of Southern League Basingstoke Town. After an even opening to the game it was the visitors who began to look the more threatening with their neat passing game. However, an early change by City boss Gary Owers – replacing top scorer Marvin Morgan with Shaquille Hunter before the half hour mark – saw City come more into the game. And the substitute was unlucky not to score with his first touch when his header came back off the post. City only had to wait another three minutes though to take the lead. A cross was deflected high into the air where Gater clambered all over Harvey giving the referee no other option than to point to the spot. And Harvey shrugged off City’s recent penalty woes by sending Tokarczyk the wrong way from 12 yards. Neither side could add to the scoring before the interval but within four minutes of the restart City doubled their advantage. Billy Murphy’s perfectly weighted through ball sent Harvey clear and he confidently fired past Tokarczyk. City were now content to sit back and defend their lead, with new arrival Axel Andresson producing a very assured first appearance. Chances were few and far between at either end of the pitch and it was only into stoppage time that the Dragons tested Max O’Leary, blocking Deadfield’s close range effort. Seconds later the final whistle blew, leaving City to celebrate their first FA Trophy win since the famous quarter-final success over Dover Athletic in February 2015.

City add Axel to strengthen back-line (25/11/16)

City have signed Reading central defender Axel Andresson on a month loan from Reading. The 18-year old is an Icelandanic U17 and U19 international and will be available for tomorrow’s FA Trophy game against Basingtoke Town at Twerton Park (ko 3pm).

Manny Monthe makes Forest Green move (24/11/16)

The Club has accepted an offer from Forest Green Rovers for Manny Monthe and he has signed today for an undisclosed fee.

Since signing in the summer, Manny has become a firm favourite with the fans, being awarded man of the match six times and scoring four goals. Although he will be missed, he goes with our best wishes and we will watch his future progress closely. He has been great to have around the Club and we would not want to deny him this chance.

Gary Owers said “ I am sorry to lose Manny as he has been excellent and has earned this opportunity to further his career with an offer that was too good for him to turn down. As a coach it is my aim to develop players and help them return to full time football and Manny has received a chance to do just that.”

New date for Wellington AFC cup tie (23/11/16)

Following its postponement last night the Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round game against Wellington AFC has been rearranged for Tuesday 29 November (ko 7.45pm). This is subject to City and Basingstoke Town not requiring a replay in the FA Trophy, which would take precedence.

Somerset Premier Cup tie POSTPONED (22/11/16)

City’s Somerset Premier Cup game against Wellington AFC this evening has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. A new date will be announced in due course.

Stuart Fleetwood’s loan spell with Southern League Weymouth has been extended for a second month.

Football Manager 2017 on sale from the club (20/11/16)

An ideal present for all Gary Owers wanabees this Christmas is the latest installment of the incredibly popular PC game, Football Manager 2017. And you can now buy a copy for just £25 direct from the club. Call into the ground during office hours or before any match, or call 01225 423087 or e-mail

Bristol City U23’s match against Swansea City which was due to played at Twerton Park on Monday 5 December has been rearranged due to the Swans continued involvement in the EFL Cup. The game will now take place on Monday 27 February.

City twice battle back for Chelmsford point (19/11/16)

City twice came from a goal down to draw 2-2 with play-off chasing Chelmsford City at Twerton Park this afternoon. After the kick-off was delayed for five minutes – the visitors ending up in Bristol rather than Bath initially – they got off to the worse possible start when three minutes in Mullings got the better of Manny Monthe. His low shot was saved by Max O’Leary but the referee adjudged that Monthe had pulled him back as he was shooting and Jeffers confidently netted the penalty kick. City responded well to this blow, Andy Watkins, Monthe and Jack Batten all going close, and on 25 minutes they levelled when Tyler Harvey’s prefect cross was headed into the net by top scorer Marvin Morgan. The rest of the half saw little in the way of threat from either side but just four minutes after the restart the Clarets retook the lead. A corner was allowed to drop in the six-yard box where Jeffers had far too much time to turn and fire past O’Leary. The visitors enjoyed their best spell of the game after this, Willmott and Jeffers spurning decent openings. City had begun to look bereft of attacking ideas but with 10 minutes left they were gifted a second equaliser. Haines’ attempt to chest the ball back to keeper Fitzsimons was woefully short and Watkins was alert to nip in and lift the ball into the net. Chelmsford had the best chance to grab a late winner when Willmott rounded O’Leary only to blast the high and wide, but a draw was the fair result.

Chelmsford match is ‘Student Day’ at Twerton Park (16/11/16)

With the new academic year underway, Bath City FC are holding a special ‘Student Day’ to encourage the thousands of scholars based here to adopt the club as their new local team. Our 2016 Student Day will take place at this Saturday’s home game against Chelmsford City (3pm kick off, 19th November), with the club offering a special ‘2x2x2’ promotion. Entry to the game will cost only £2 (upon production of a valid student ID), and the club’s bar will be selling pints of Thatchers cider and Carling lager for only £2 before 2pm – available to all! Plus anyone entering the club’s Charlie’s bar between 1pm and 2pm on Saturday will also receive a raffle ticket, with the chance of winning £25 and £15 worth of Domino’s Pizza vouchers. Pay on the gate or book online with our new official Eventbrite ticketing page.

Watkins on target to end winless run (14/11/16)

City recorded their first league win since mid-September with a hard-fought 1-0 victory at Wealdstone this evening. With loan signing Tyler Harvey’s international clearance coming through in time for the game he played his part in an impressive first half performance from the Romans. Billy Murphy had an early effort blocked on the line before Andy Watkins, Murphy and Harvey all had further shots on goal. Despite being the home side Wealdstone looked content to try to catch City on the break but failed to trouble Max O’Leary in the City goal. City suffered a blow on 29 minutes when the impressive Ryan Broom had to be substituted with a nasty looking head injury. However, six minutes later City went ahead when Murphy’s free-kick was headed down by Manny Monthe for Watkins to turn the ball home from close-range. Just before the interval a fast break forward by Josh Hutchinson almost set up Marvin Morgan for a second but his shot was blocked. Playing down the slope in the second half the Stones began to enjoy much greater possession but with little in the way of a cutting edge. It wasn’t until the 75th minute that City had a real scare when Godfrey’s free-kick evaded everyone before striking the outside of the post. The remainder of the game was largely played in City’s half but they continued to stand firm, only having one more nervous moment when, in the final of five minutes stoppage time, Brown had the ball in the net only to correctly flagged offside alongside two of his teammates.

City drawn at home to Basingstoke in Trophy (14/11/16)

The draw for the Buildbase FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round has given City a home match against Southern League Basinstoke Town. The tie will take place on Saturday 26 November (ko 3pm).

Tyler Harvey makes Twerton Park return (13/11/16)

City have signed striker Tyler Harvey on loan from Vanarama National League side Wrexham until January 2. This will be the 21-year olds second spell with the club, having netted four goals in six games last season, including the now legendary 45-yard injury-time winner against Weston Super Mare.* He will be available once international clearance is received.

Player coach Matt Taylor has left City to pursue other football opportunities and we thank him for his time at the Club and wish him well for the future.

Admission prices for the Somerset Premier Cup game against Wellington AFC on Tuesday 22 November (ko 7.45pm) are: Adults £6, Concessions £3, U16’s £1.

*Watch the goal again here.

City left to rue mistakes in leaders loss (12/11/16)

At a damp and gloomy York Road this afternoon City suffered a 2-1 defeat to current Vanarama National League South leaders Maidenhead United. After an uneventful opening 20 minutes, where neither side could gain the upper hand, City were handed the perfect chance to go ahead when Andy Watkins was tripped by Steers just inside the box. However, Shaquille Hunter’s penalty was saved by ex-City keeper Pentney. Then on 27 minutes the hosts took the lead out of nowhere, Pritchard unleashing a stunning 30-yard dipping volley that flew over Max O’Leary. Despite this setback City continued to match the high-flying Magpies, with only their no.8 Comley standing out, as he pulled the strings in the middle of the park. So it was all the more disappointing on the hour mark when Manny Monthe failed to deal with a long hopeful ball foward, only poking it past O’Leary to give Tarpey a simple tap-in. Seven minutes later the big centre-back redeemed himself when he turned and fired home from 10 yards to make it 2-1. Any hopes that this was be the start of a turnaround were dispelled on 73 minutes when City were reduced to ten men. Frankie Artus appeared to be being fouled by Comley but the referee awarded the free-kick to United and then flashed his yellow card, quickly followed by the red having correcty booked Artus in the first half. This allowed Maidenhead to comfortably see out the game and maintain their seven point lead at the top of the table.

Big Bath City Bid – What happens next? (8/11/16)

Following the successful raising of over £300,000 the Bath City Bid team have released details on the next steps toward community ownership. They can be found by downloading “The Big Bath City Bid – What Happens Next?” document here.

Last gasp equaliser leaves Concord grounded (5/11/16)

An injury-time header by Manny Monthe rescued a point for City in a 2-2 draw with struggling Concord Rangers at Twerton Park this afternoon. It was a disjointed performance from the Romans as they twice gifted the visitors the lead and only had several excellent stops from Max O’Leary to thank for keeping the score close enough for Monthe to power home the 93rd minute equaliser. The early chances fell to City, George Rigg seeing his shot blocked on the line and Ryan Broom nearly taking advantage of a poor clearance by Rangers keeper Miles, but on 16 minutes Cawley was allowed far too much time and space to shoot home from eight yards out. City were briefly rattled by this setback but slowly began to gain the upper hand again. However, the lack of a cutting edge continued to frustrate all connected with the black and white stripes. However, in the 43rd minute a Frankie Artus free-kick was turned goalwards by Andy Watkins and, despite Miles appearing to have it covered, the ball crept inside the far post. Broom was only denied a goal before the half-time break by a great last-ditch tackle and at the interval City threw on Nick McCootie and Billy Murphy for Dan Ball and Naby Diallo. However, it was Concord who started the second period on top, O’Leary tipping Cawley’s shot over then producing an even better stop when the same player was again left in acres of room in the City box. City then enjoyed another good spell but failed to test Miles, the closest they came was when Gridlestone almost sliced the ball into his own net, and on 73 minutes Concord regained the lead. Again Cawley took full advantage on non-existent marking to head Chiedozie’s cross over O’Leary. Good work by Nick McCootie almost ended with his low cross being scrambled home and Shaquille Hunter saw his shot deflected wide but with Concord understandably looking to slow the game down as much as possible – Gordan even getting booked for running in the opposite direction as his number was held up for a substitution – City looked to have run out of ideas as the game reached stoppage time. But just when it looked as if this tactic had paid off a corner was turned goalwards by Watkins where Brown blocked it on the line only for the ball to loop up for Monthe to thump a header into the rook of the net. Concord’s frustration at this saw Norman receive a red card in the aftermarth but the goal couldn’t hide another below-par performance from City and they will need a considerable improvement when they travel to league leaders Maidenhead United next Saturday.

Entry concession for serving Armed Forces (3/11/16)

With Rememerance Sunday just over a week away and as part of our commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant in supporting the Armed Forces Community, admission to home games at Twerton Park will be at the concession price of £10 for military personnel with ID, starting from this Saturday’s fixture against Concord Rangers. The Vanarama National League South clash will also see the a team of volunteers from the Royal British Legion at the ground to collect and sell poppies before, during and after the game.

Bath City FC chairman Paul Williams said: “As a community-owned club that aims to be at the very heart of life in our city, it’s an honour to be able to support two fine institutions in this way. The Royal British Legion has worked tirelessly over many years to support veterans and their families, and we’re delighted to give Bath City supporters an opportunity to do their bit to help the cause. And through this new ongoing discount for members of the armed forces attending Bath City games, it’s a chance for the club to show in a small way its appreciation to those who put their lives on the line to serve our country.”

Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal coordinator for Bath, Helen Cooke, said: “It’s a real honour to be asked by Bath City FC to collect at one of their games again. We had six volunteers there with collection buckets last year, and they all really enjoyed it. We know from that experience how generous Bath City supporters are, so we’re very grateful for their help with our appeal again this year.”

Captain John Ledgister of the 43 Signal Squadron, 39 Signal Regiment, added: “Bath City Football Club is leading the way in the city when it comes to supporting Her Majesty’s Forces and the Royal British Legion, with its positive attitude and drive for inclusion and generosity.”

Ryan Broom extends loan spell (3/11/16)

City have extended the loan deal for Bristol Rovers midfielder Ryan Broom until December 3 inclusive. He will be available for all cup games during this period.

Twerton Park to host Bristol City U23 games (1/11/16)

City have agreed to host three Bristol City U23 Premier League Cup games at Twerton Park. The first visitors will be Newcastle United on Monday 7 November (ko 2pm) before Swansea City come to Bath on Monday 5 December (ko 2pm). The final game will take place on Friday 20 January (ko 7pm) against Southampton. Admission is adults £3 and concessions £1.

City have arranged their Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round tie at home to Wellington for Tuesday 22 November (ko 7.45pm).