November 2002

That Old Gang of Mine is sent out to make amends for Odd Down exit (29/11/02)

After their embarrassing Somerset Premier Cup exit at Odd Down on Tuesday the players involved will be made to face the same side again tomorrow in a reserve team fixture. With no first team match the players were due a weekend off but following the 4-3 deafeat incensed City boss Alan Pridham will now send them out to face the Downers again. The only one likely to miss out is Andy Minturn after he picked up a knock in the original game, although both Iain Harvey and Paul Milsom who missed the match through injury and suspension respectively will be involved. Pridham has also warned that if the side fails to produce the goods a second time a number of them could be on their way out of Twerton Park. The game takes place at Twerton Park (ko 3pm).

Screw it (26/11/02)

City crashed out of the Somerset Premier Cup tonight by four goals to three at the hands of Screwfix League neighbours Odd Down. In an extraordinary game they came up against an inspired keeper and despite fielding a full strength line-up conceded four set-piece goals, the final one coming three minutes from the end of extra time. After a goalless first half Jim Rollo headed City ahead around the hour mark only for two goals in as many minutes to turn the game in Odd Down’s favour. With five minutes remaining Andy Minturn fired City level and when Jason Eaton headed home three minutes later it looked as if City would sneak through. However an injury time equaliser took the game into extra time. Early in the second half Odd Down keeper Westlake capped a stunning performance by saving Eaton’s penalty and when another free kick caused panic in the City box three minutes from a penalty shoot-out Odd Down secured victory.

Gingerbread clash falls foul of Northern weather (23/11/02)

The long trip to Lincolnshire for today’s (Southern!!?) league clash with Grantham Town was made in vain as the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. A heavy and persistant downpour two hours before the kick off left the South Kesteven Sports Stadium pitch covered in puddles so it was no surprise when a 2pm inspection deemed the surface unplayable and City were forced to make the second leg of the 350 mile round trip earlier than expected.

Jason Drysdale has joined teammate Ellis Wilmot at Western Division Mangotsfield United in a loan deal. The left back, who has struggled with a number of injuries this season making just four first team starts, will look to regain his match fitness at Cossham Street.

Now City supporters face miscounduct charge over Tiverton War Zone (21/11/02)

Following manager Alan Pridham’s FA charge over using foul and abusive language towards referee Alison Chapman City have been hit with a second possible charge. The FA have written to the club asking for their comments on the official’s accusation that she was verbally abused and spat at by City fans as she left the pitch after the league match against Tiverton Town. Should the FA find the club guilty of this charge they could warn or fine City or, if the offence were deemed that serious, force a ground closure.

I Robot, You Jane – And Pridham faces FA charge over Tiverton ref (20/11/02)

City boss has been handed a miscounduct charge by the FA following comments directed at referee Alison Chapman following the Dr Martens League clash with Tiverton Town a week ago. The Reading based official reported Pridham for foul and abusive language after the 1-0 defeat, in which City’s Paul Milsom was dismissed and a late penalty claim was turned down. Pridham has admitted that he did confront Ms Chapman over her performance but denies using expletives. City have 14 days to respond to the charge.

Somerset Premier Cup clash postponed over In The Dark fears (19/11/02)

Tonights Somerset Premier Cup 2nd round meeting between City and Odd Down has been postponed due to problems with the floodlights at the Screwfix Western League side’s Combe Hay Lane ground. The match has been rescheduled, electrics permitting, for next Tuesday 26 November with kick off at 7.45pm.

What’s My Line? Not being able to hold on to a lead if you’re City (16/11/02)

For the second Saturday in succession City showed a worrying inability to hold a lead as they were twice pegged back by Hinckley United to end up with a share of the points. Dan Cleverley put City ahead from eight yards after 20 minutes before Voice levelled from close range. City regained the lead five minutes before the break from the penalty spot. Andy Williams was sent sprawling by Cartwright and Jason Eaton fired into the roof of the net. The second half saw the visitors go close on a number of occasions and it was no surprise when Voice popped up at the far post to head the Kniiters level again. The closing minutes saw a welcome return to league action for Jamie Gosling and he almost crowned his return with the winning goal only to lift a shot over the bar when clean through on goal.

When She Was Bad she was very very bad (12/11/02)

Summary of tonight at Twerton Park. City lost 1-0 to Tiverton Town. Tiverton were very poor. City weren’t any better. The goal was scored by Mudge after 73 minutes. Paul Milsom was sent off for two non-bookable offences. Dan Cleverley was pulled to the ground by two Tiverton defenders in the penalty area in the closing minutes. The referee did not give a penalty. The referee went by the name of Alison Chapman. She should never ever be allowed to referee a match again. The Tiverton players actually had the nerve to celebrate their ‘win’ at the final whistle.

Midfielder Ellis Wilmot has moved to Mangotsfield United on a months loan. The midfielder, who was signed in the summer from Team Bath, has failed to earn a regular place in City’s first team making just two starting appearances.

Thorne is the unfortunate own goal Provider to deny City Keys Park victory (10/11/02)

In contrast to last weeks FA Trophy defeat at Halesowen, City were involved in an entertaining goal laden match yesterday after they twice allowed Hednesford Town to come from behind and earn a point in a 2-2 draw. This was probably a fair scoreline as both sides created a number of chances in an open game. City took the lead after just 11 minutes when Williams’ low cross was turned home by Eaton. The home side drew level 14 minutes later after Francis headed down for Piearce to convert from close range. With 18 minutes remaining City regained their lead, Williams firing home from substitute Bennett’s centre, and put themselves in with a great chance of ending the Pitmens unbeaten home record. However, these hopes were dashed just two minutes later when Thorne turned a Wray cross past Bryant.

Iain Harvey will miss City’s next two matches following his sending off against Yeovil Town in the FA Cup a fortnight ago. The midfielder received a one match ban for this dismissal plus another game for reaching five cautions in the same match.

City’s Dr Martens Premier Division match at Twerton Park with Hinckley United next Saturday will definitely kick off at 3pm. The club had considered moving the game to avoid a potential clash with Team Bath’s FA Cup tie against Mansfield Town but have understandably decided the Sky covered match will have little or no effect on their attendance.

Gosling return can’t stop Doc Martens Cup hopes remaining Untouched (5/11/02)

City exited a third cup competition in the space of a week at Twerton Park tonight, going down 3-1 in a penalty shoot-out against Tiverton Town. The Dr Martens Cup 1st round tie had ended 2-2 after extra time. A largely 2nd string City lead at the interval after Jamie Gosling signalled his return to first team action by firing home a penalty following a foul on Josh Jefferies. The second half began with Tiverton winning a penalty of their own but Mark Bryant saved the kick. However, they soon drew level when a low cross was turned past City’s keeper. City regained the lead through a Mark Keen header on 65 minutes only for Nancekivell to score an equaliser with 15 minutes remaining. Extra time passed uneventfully and the game went to penalties. Josh Jefferies scored City’s first kick but then Sam Allison fired wide and Andy Minturn and Chris Honor both saw Collis save their efforts. With just Nancekivell missing for the Devon side this saw them progress to a 2nd round meeting with Cirencester.

FA Trophy path hits immediate Dead End at hands of Halesowen (2/11/02)

It was a clear case of ‘after the lord mayors show’ at at wet and windy Halesowen this afternoon as City departed the FA Trophy at the first hurle. Following the excitement of the two FA Cup matches with Yeovil Town this was a woeful match between two poor sides that even seven goals could not lift out of the gloom. The home side opened the scoring after 12 minutes when Ashby fired home. City drew level on 37 minutes from Jason Eaton’s close range finish. Within 20 minutes of the restart Yeltz moved 3-1 ahead through Colwell and Ashby. City showed that Halesowen had improved little since they were easily beaten at Twerton earlier in the season by pulling one back through Gary Thorne and then Eaton grabbed his second with ten minutes left to bring City level. However, two minutes later Quiggan blasted a free kick through Mark Hervin’s hands to secure a place in the 2nd round.

City’s reserves were denied their fourth successive victory by Frome Town’s floodlights this afternoon. Goals from Sam Allison, Jamie Gosling and Joss Jefferies had given them a comfortable 3-0 lead but the failure of the lights to work at half time meant by the 68th minute the conditions were unplayable and the referee had no alternative but to bring proceedings to a halt.

The winner of Tuesday’s 1st round Dr Martens Cup match between City and Tiverton will face a home tie against Cirencester Town in the next round of the competition.

Are You Now or Have You Ever Been suffering from an achilles injury (1/11/02)

Adrian Foster, last seasons top scorer, has been ruled out of action until next year with an achilles injury. The 31-year old, who despite the injury came off the bench to score against Yeovil Town on Tuesday, has been suffering with the injury all season and following an MRI scan will have an operation to cure the problem on 20 November which will leave him sidelined until January 2003 at the earliest.