November 2001

Training absentee Gosling asks for move away from Twerton Park (27/11/01)

Talented midfielder Jamie Gosling has asked to be transfer-listed following a run-in with manager Alan Pridham. The former Team Bath player, who has scored four goals this season in 18 appearances, missed a training session last week claiming his car had broken down only to be seen watching a Western League Representative match. Gosling claims it is his lack of first team opportunities and Pridham’s tatics that have forced him into looking for move away from City. However, Pridham has said the player is going nowhere and will remain playing for City’s reserves until his attitude improves.

Extra-time Harvey strike secures Somerset Premier Cup progress (26/11/01)

A single goal six minutes into the first period of extra time saw City progress into the 3rd Round of the Somerset Premier Cup at the expense of Bristol City. The winning strike came from Iain Harvey as he converted Andy Williams low cross following a strong run by the City wide player. In an entertaining game both sides attempted to play football on the excellent Ashton Gate surface but failed to find the vital final touch. City’s best openings fell to top scorer Adrian Foster but he was twice denied by the home keeper when clean through. Following Harvey’s goal City had a couple of close escapes but held out to record a welcome victory.

City manager Alan Pridham has moved again to reduce the size of his first team squad, releasing recent signing Jeff MacLean.

Romans winning run ended by Norfolk invaders (24/11/01)

City’s three match winning run came to an abrupt end at Twerton Park this afternoon as King’s Lynn grabbed a 1-0 victory thanks to a second half strike. The Norfolk side fully deserved their victory as, in what was a fairly drab and uneventful match, they at least created a couple of openings in front of goal. One effort was spectacularly pushed away by Mark Hervin, following a mistake by the City keeper, and another was deflected onto the post by Colin Towler. The decisive goal came around the hour mark, the ball being turned home from close range. Despite improving slightly after this City never really threatened an equaliser and the only other matter of note in the game was the debut of 38-year old midfiedler Nigel Gillard.

In the Dr Martens Cup City have been rewarded with a home tie against Western Division Cinderford Town following their 3-1 victory at Newport County. The 2nd Round tie will take place on Tuesday 11 December.

Late Milsom winner sends City soaring into top half of table (17/11/01)

A goal two minutes from time by Paul Milsom saw City record a 1-0 victory over Salisbury City at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium this afternoon and lifted them into the previously uncharted regions of the top half of the Dr Martens Premier Division table. The game, which leaves the Wiltshire side rooted to the foot of the table, appeared to be heading for a goalless draw as both missed a number of chances. The home side saw three efforts beat Hervin but strike the woodwork, while for City both Milsom and Foster were guilty of wasting good openings. However, with 88 minutes gone a long ball forward found Milsom unmarked in the Whites area and, to the delight of City’s sizable travelling support, he lifted a shot over keeper Bittner and into the corner of the net.

Thursdays Annual General Meeting saw City chairman Steve Hall commit himself to the club and put his full backing behind the Bath City Trust. Hall, who has been at City’s helm since March 1998, had said earlier in the year that he would review his position at Christmas if no movement had been made in solving the clubs crippling financial problems, but following the successful Trust meeting last week he confirmed his intention to continue in the post.

Foster and Hervin the stars as City make Dr Martens Cup progress (13/11/01)

City completed their four match series with Newport County last night with a victory as an Adrian Foster hat-trick lead them to a 3-1 Dr Martens Cup success. All the goals came in the first half but City were equally indebted to keeper Mark Hervin who pulled off a string of excellent saves. With the Welsh side fielding a largely second string side, ahead of their FA Cup clash at Blackpool on Saturday, City took full advantage, Foster striking in the 6th, 15th and 39th minute to take his tally to 12 goals for the season. Hervin was finally beaten after 71 minutes by Jones’ close range shot but this turned out to be nothing more than a consolation for the home team.

No penalty clause for City in 4-2 victory over Merthyr Tydfil (11/11/01)

Despite a missed first half penalty by Jamie Gosling, City still ran out 4-2 winners in yesterday’s clash with Merthyr Tydfil at Twerton Park. A cool finish by Paul Milsom had given them a second minute lead but when Gosling’s 32nd minute spot kick, awarded for a pull on Adrian Foster, was saved by keeper Braybrooke it looked as if City’s domination of the half would fail to yield a deserved advantage. However, two goals in the closing eight minutes of the half from Foster’s scuffed shot, that was helped over the line by ex-City defender Rollo, and Gosling’s low drive after Braybrooke had spilled a cross gave a truer reflection to the scoreline. If Merthyr were to find a way back into the game they needed an early strike in the second half and after 53 minutes they got it, Gary Powell inadvertantly turning a cross past Hervin. And with 21 minutes remaining the visitors made it 3-2, Dodds heading a corner home. Facing a nervous final period City had a few close escapes before Foster latched onto a Milsom flick to fire home from eight yards and finally seal City’s first Saturday home victory of the season.

City’s reserve side maintained their position at the top of the Screwfix League Division One table with a 4-0 victory at Warminster yesterday. A twice taken penalty by Lee Burns gave them the lead before goals from Lee Collier, Owen Bryan and a second for Burns completed the scoring.

Midfielder Jamie Mills looks set to leave Twerton Park and head to Dr Martens Western League leaders Clevedon Town. The summer signing, who has been on loan at Swindon Supermarine recently, should join up with former teammate Sam Allison at the Hand Stadium in the next week.

Marco Micciche has had his 35-day suspension reduced on appeal to 14-days following his sending off in a reserve match earlier this season. However, the midfielder, who has yet to feature for the first-team this season following his close season arrival from Clevedon, faces a further ban after being sent-off again in the reserve’s 5-2 Les Phillips Cup win over Westbury United last week.

City fans vote to put their trust in a friendly future (9/11/01)

A meeting held at Twerton Park last night of members of The Bath City Trust saw an overwhelming vote to continue with the attempt to buy back control of the club from majority shareholder, Corporate Equity. Director Geoff Todd revealed at the meeting that a number of individual shareholders have agreed to finance a short-term loan of £230,000 that will be used to pay off the debt and accumulated interest owed to Corporate Equity. The Trust will then be given a 12-month period in which to raise the £250,000 required to purchase the 51% shareholding. With the current amount in the Trust standing at £85,000 this means another £165,000 will need to raised. Should the Trust succeed it’s final form is likely to a form of Industrial and Provident Society, or Friendly Society, operating on a one member one vote basis.

Last-gasp Thorne penalty sees City grab deserved Hinckley point (7/11/01)

City are now unbeaten in four away games after a stoppage time penalty by Gary Thorne earned them a 2-2 draw against Hinckley United last night. This was the least they deserved after dominating the first half against a woeful Hinckley side but conceding two goals in eight second half minutes to find themselves staring at another defeat. City had lead following a tenth minute strike from Paul Milsom, after he had run clear from Kemp’s ball forward, and Harvey had a great chance to double the lead on the stroke of half time, only to mis-kick with the goal at his mercy. City were punished for this miss on 52 minutes when Hamilton’s lob was adjudged to have crossed the line despite Powell’s effort to clear. And on the hour mark Hervin missed a Lenton corner allowing Penny a simple header from five yards out. However, City weren’t to be denied something from the game, as Badman’s cross struck post and Jeff MacLean’s follow-up was blocked by a defenders arm – Thorne making no mistake from the spot.

City have arranged their Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round clash with Bristol City for Monday 26 November at Ashton Gate with a 7.30pm kick off.

City see FA Trophy hopes disappear at the first hurdle (3/11/01)

City made a first round exit from this seasons FA Trophy, losing by three goals to two against Dr Martens League rivals Newport County at Twerton Park this afternoon. Following a fairly even opening City were handed the lead on 20 minutes when hesitation between a County defender and his keeper allowed Foster to score from a narrow angle. However, a minute later City repaid the compliment when Towler’s error let Paul run clear and beat Hervin with ease. And two minutes before the interval a 20-yard free kick gave the Welsh side the lead. The second half saw City fail to really trouble Newport and it was no surprise when the third goal arrived, although it was with an element of luck that Shephard’s cross floated over Hervin. Gosling grabbed City’s second from the penalty spot with a couple of minutes remaining but it wasn’t enough to deny the Exiles a second round clash with Walton & Hersham.