March 2017


  • 2nd half penalty sees Stones edge out City (25/3/17)

    A debatable penalty 20 minutes from time was all that could separate City and Wealdstone at a bright and sunny Twerton Park this afternoon. With just one point between the sides coming into the game the close nature of the encounter was no surprise and a draw would have been the fairest result. An early chance for Shawn McCoulsky was well blocked by Stones no.1 North and then City keeper Max O’Leary did well to keep out Fitchett’s effort. Both sides then scored in the final 10 minutes of the half, though via very different goals. The Londoners struck first when Green was give the space to curl a 25-yard shot into the top corner. City levelled with the last action of the half when a goalmouth scramble ended with Chas Hemmings stabbing the ball home from less than a yard out. The second half saw little change as both sides looked to keep alive their outside chances of making the Vanarama National League South play-offs so it was unfortunate the the game was decided by a refereeing decision. White burst into the box from Sellers pass and went to ground despite the slightest of contact from Sekani Simpson. The same player sending O’Leary the wrong way from the spot. City threw on their three attacking substitutes but, other than a speculative overhead kick from Nick McCootie, that North claimed at the second attempt, they failed to trouble North again. The visitors celebrated extravagantly at the final whistle but City were left to reflect on two narrow defeats in a week that has left them with little more than pride to play for in their remaining six matches.

    Bath City Family Day (23/3/17)

    It’s our Family Day this weekend, home to Wealdstone. Bring the kids for fun from 1pm:

  • Footie inflatables – beat the goalie and speed camera!
  • Free football clapper to make some noise – sponsored by Snapdragons
  • Air Cadet Marching band to open proceedings
  • Half-time Bath City Youth Under-9s match on the pitch
  • Bargain family ticket – £20 for four Pre-order your Family Ticket just £20 for two adults and two children here, or buy from the ticket office.

    We look forward to seeing you!

    City endure frustrating night in Gosport loss (21/3/17)

    City suffered a frustrating, and ultimately hugely disappointing, evening as they lost by a single goal to relegation strugglers Gosport Borough. Having only picked up a single point in their previous five league visits to Privett Park, City nearly got off to the perfect start when Shawn McCoulsky saw his third minute header crash against the post. Instead, two minutes later they found themselves behind through Lanahan’s precise finish. This gave the hosts, who ended a four and a half month wait for a league victory on Saturday against St Albans City, something to defend and this they did tirelessly, although not without considerable good fortune on occasion. City’s attempts to play their way back into the game was not helped by the surprisingly firm and uneven surface and, despite enjoying the majority of possession, clear cut chances were at a premium during the first half. Playing down the slope after the break though City created enough chances to have won the game comfortably. However, they couldn’t convert the plethora of openings and were almost caught on the break a couple of times as they pressed forward. Then with just a minute left City were handed a perfect chance to at least salvage a point from the game when McClousky was flattened by keeper Jordan in the box. Somehow he escaped a booking for the challenge, although he was cautioned for dissent before the penalty kick could be taken. With regular penalty taker Axel Andresson away on international duty McClousky took over the spot kick responsibility only to see his tame effort easily blocked by Jordan.

    17-18 Shirt Sponsor draw information (19/3/17)

    Following on from the success of the last three shirt sponsors draws, the club are launching their new and revamped sponsorship draw for next season. Tilley’s Bistro (2014-2015), Midland Car Company (2015-2016) and this season, Sitec, have had their name on the front of the Bath City shirts, both home and away. Our thanks to all the businesses who in the past have taken part in the shirt sponsorship draws. Now details can now be downloaded HERE about and the next draw, which will take place on 24th May 2017. And the application form can be downloaded HERE.

    Rigg red can’t deny City first ever 3G victory (18/3/17)

    City recorded their first ever victory on a 3G pitch this afternoon, beating Eastbourne Borough by two goals to one. A neat header from Shawn McCoulsky and an own goal by Hobson early in the second half had put City firmly in control of the game before the late sending off of George Rigg, Baptista firing home the resultant free-kick, led to a tenser finale than expected. Despite playing with the strong wind, that always seems to follow the Romans to this part of Sussex, behind them during the first half the hosts couldn’t use it to their advantage and failed to register a single on-target effort on goal during the opening 45 minutes. City had looked neater in possession, although they had to wait until the closing stages of the half to force Carey into action, Andy Watkins testing the keeper at his near post. However, with the wind behind them it took City just a minute into the second half to go ahead, Billy Murphy’s curling free-kick diverted home by McCoulsky. And just past the hour mark they doubled their lead when Nick McCootie’s low cross was turned into his own net by Hobson. Having produced so little attacking threat it looked as if the game would drift to its conclusion with little further excitement but with 10 minutes left a long ball forward saw Connolly get clear of City’s previously faultless back-line. Rigg made a desperate attempt to rescue the situation but only succeeded in bringing down the Borough substitution a couple of yards outside the box. The red card was inevitable but Baptista’s excellent free-kick that flew into the net via Max O’Leary left-hand post was a rare moment of quality from Eastbourne. City kept their composure though and only a corner that flew across the face of goal gave them a nervous moment and Marvin Morgan spurned a great chance to net a third City goal before the end.

    City are set to be without talismanic loan star Axel Andresson for the next two games, away to Gosport Borough and at home to Wealdstone, after the centre-back was named in the Iceland U21 squad to face Georgia and Saudi Arabia next week.

    City duo named in National League squad (17/3/17)

    In a unique series of representative matches, The National League will play The British Army at three differing locations on the same evening. These will take place on Wednesday 29th March 7.45pm at Eastbourne Borough, Harrogate Town and Tamworth. Each match being supported in partnership with Vanarama and S & C Slatter. Each of the three squads are drawn from players who play in The National League North and South ONLY and two City players, Sekani Simpson and Josh Hutchinson, will feature in the game to be played at Eastbourne Borough. Goalkeeper Steve Phillips was also selected but is unavailble. Entry is £5 for Adults (including a programme) with Seniors & Juniors FREE. Extra programmes are £2.

    General Manager appointment news (16/3/17)

    Bath City FC is pleased to announce the appointment of the Club’s new full-time General Manager, Carole Banwell, who will start in her role at the beginning of April, charged with developing new revenues and building relationships across the city.

    With a professional background in accounting, commerce and law, Carole has volunteered at City for 18 months running the Club shop, before coming through an extensive recruitment process to take on this new role. The position will be pivotal in working for the new Board, Society, fans and investors new and old to implement the plans to get the Club back on a sound financial footing and to deepen the Club’s engagement with the whole community.

    Looking forward to taking up her post, Carole commented “For too long the football club has been a little bit ‘below the radar’ here in Bath. The success of the supporter ownership bid has brought a new vision and a fresh energy and we are determined to create a vibrant and sustainable club which sits at the heart of the local community – and which from there reconnects with the rest of the city. I’m so excited to be involved in this significant change and to be helping to bring community-focused football, and Bath City FC, out of the shadows.”

    The appointment follows the announcement of the Club AGM on Tuesday 28th March which should pave the way for the issue of 300,000 new shares to the Supporters Society and in turn the Society’s majority ownership of the Club.

    Second half comeback sinks ten-man Weston (14/3/17)

    City came from a goal down at half-time to beat ten-man Weston Super Mare 2-1 at Woodspring Stadium, with Shawn McCoulsky netting the winning goal two minutes from time. The game got off to a lively start with both sides looking threatening going forward. Marvin Morgan blasted a good chance high and wide then Jack Batten saw his header cleared off the line acrobatically by Grubb. Moments later though Weston took the lead through Baldwin’s looping header that gave Max O’Leary no chance. This allowed Weston to slow the pace of the game down and City struggled to counter this approach. A couple of nervous moments at the back were largely City’s own doing as they failed to deal with balls into the box. However, they were unlucky not to be level at the break when a well-worked free-kick saw Miles Welch-Hayes cross for Andy Watkins to force Purnell into a superb block. Watkins then fired a follow-up effort narrowly wide. Neither side could gain the upper hand during the early exchanges of the second half but on 59 minutes the home side were reduced to 10 men. Menayese had been booked for a late lunge at McCoulsky just before the break so could have few complaints when he was shown a second yellow for felling McCootie. It took City less than 10 minutes to make their numerical advantage count when Watkins burst into the box and was tripped by Cane – Axel Andresson making no mistake from the spot. The game was there for the taking now and City pushed Weston back only to be denied several times by Purnell but with two minutes left McCoulsky reached a Billy Murphy pass just ahead of the keeper to stab it into the net. Despite five minutes stoppage time City kept Weston at bay to secure the win that lifts them back into the top half of the Vanarama National League South table.

    AGM annoucement (12/3/17)

    The Club is pleased to announce that following agreement of terms between the majority shareholders of Bath City Football Club, the Bath City Supporters Society and certain external lenders, the AGM for Bath City Football Club Limited has been fixed for Tuesday 28 March 2017. The event will be held in Randall’s with shareholders of the football club being asked to vote on the resolutions set out in the AGM notice that has been sent out.

    The Joy of Six on Women at the Game day (11/3/17)

    City marked Women at the Game day this afternoon by firing six goals past hapless Hemel Hempstead Town without reply to record their biggest league win since April 2007. It took just nine minutes for City to go ahead when Nick McCootie was tripped 25 yards from goal and Axel Andresson fired a perfect free-kick into the top corner of the net. Eleven minutes later the game really turned in City’s favour as Marvin Morgan bared down on goal with only Mendy for company. The Hemel no.11 tried to drag him down outside the box but when he finally managed to fell Morgan it was in the area, and the penalty award and red card quickly followed. Andresson stepped up to send Butler the wrong way from the spot and double City’s lead. The visitors kept an attacking set-up despite their numerical disadvantage which gave City a few nervous moments at the back but also lead to acres of space when the broke forward. And on 31 minutes they made them pay again when Nick McCootie’s cross-shot was turned home from close range by Shawn McCoulsky. Then five minutes before the interval McCootie made it 4-0 with a looping header from Andy Watkins’ lofted ball forward. After a bright start to the second half from Hemel, City were soon back on top. Butler twice denied McCoulsky with smart blocks but two minutes before the hour-mark he was beaten by the loanee’s neat finish from Frankie Artus’ pass. Chances continued to fall at both ends – Parkes crashing a free-kick against the post for Hemel- but it was City who completed the scoring in stoppage-time through substitute Shaquille Hunter’s close range strike.

    Women At The Game this Saturday (9/3/17)

    A reminder that this Saturday’s Vanarama National League South clash with Hemel Hempstead Town is a special ‘Women At The Game’ event, aimed at encouraging as many women as possible to attend the game. In conjunction with national initiative “Women at the Game”, and in recognition of International Women’s Day earlier this week, all female fans are invited to join us for a reception before the game where you can get together over pre-match refreshments. Existing BCFC women fans will be on hand to make you feel welcome, show you round and take you into the ground for the game in a safe and supportive environment. Bath Coffee House have also donated cakes for all our female guests to enjoy in the Moore Stephens Lounge before the match. Email us with any queries at– or just turn up on the day and look for our WatG hosts to guide you to the reception!

    After the game all supporters (both male and female) are encouraged to watch the historic FA Cup Quarter Final between Arsenal and City’s fellow non-league side Lincoln City on the big screen in Charlie’s.

    And, on the pitch, on loan goalkeeper Max O’Leary will be available for City following his selection as a non-playing substitute for Bristol City in the 1-1 draw with Norwich City earlier this week.

    Play-off hopes left deflated by Darts double (4/3/17)

    City’s hopes of a late run on the Vanarama National League South play-offs were dealt an almost fatal blow this afternoon with a 2-0 defeat at Dartford. A goal in each half was enough to keep the Kent side in touch with Ebbsfleet United and Maidenhead United at the top of the table and see City slip into the bottom half. Although the ball spent much of the time high in the air during the opening 20 minutes City had looked the more threatening going forward and comfortable at the back, but on 22 minutes Hayes ran into Miles Welch-Hayes after knocking the ball past him before falling to the ground. The referee viewed that this was a foul and pointed to the spot, from where Bradbrook made no mistake. Understandby shaken by this set-back City were on the back foot for a spell before they began to impose themselves on the game once again. However, any pressure they tried to build was halted by several borderline offside decisions and the home side missed a great chance to double their lead just before the interval. Once again they benefitted from a favourable refereeing decision as Chas Hemmings was fouled as he cleared the ball. With the centre-back still on the ground the ball was returned forward and the space allowed Ofori-Acheampong to race clear, but he never looked confident of taking the chance allowing O’Leary to block his tame effort and the danger was cleared. The second half saw Dartford begin to enjoy greater possession and O’Leary had to produce several good stops to keep the score a 1-0. He was finally beaten for the second time with fifteen minutes left though when Ofori-Acheampong headed home a Hayes cross. Shawn McCoulsky headed a good chance over with five minutes remaining but this was as close as City would come as Dartford saw out the game to record a deserved win.

    McCoulsky extends loan until end of season (2/3/17)

    City have secured their second loan player extention of the week with Bristol City striker Shawn McCoulsky agreeing to stay at Twerton Park until the end of the current season.