March 2015

City huff and puff but can’t blow away Hayes (31/3/15)

City missed the chance to climb back into the Vanarama Conference South top ten this evening as they were held to a goalless draw by Hayes & Yeading United at a cold and windy Twerton Park. The conditions favoured the visitors during the first half but, apart from a couple of probing runs by Williams, they rarely threatened and as the half progress City began to gain the upper hand. Andy Watkins couldn’t keep his shot down after good work from Naby Diallo on 28 minutes before Phil Walsh sent a header narrowly wide as half-time approached. After a bright start to the second period United were soon back on the defensive. Dave Pratt’s looping header dropped just the wrong side of the post in the 64th minute then Watkins crashed a shot against the bar as City began to finally up the tempo. However, too often good build-up play was wasted with a poor final pass or shot. Pratt was denied by a great last ditch tackle and Chas Hemmings sent a dipping 30-yard volley over the bar. Jason Mellor was largely a spectator at the other end of the pitch as Ross Stearn forced a good save out of Hayes keeper Smith. As the game reached stoppage time it looked like City would be have a great opportunity to grab the win when Ross Stearn was clearly clipped from behind as he lined up a shot a yard inside the box but, despite being just a few yards from the incident, the referee waved away the penalty appeals and with it the last chance to separate the sides.

City fightback to dent Bromley title hopes (28/3/15)

City overturned a two-goal half-time deficit to take a point off title hopefuls Bromley in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Twerton Park this afternoon. After an even opening to the game City gifted the visitors the lead on 17 minutes. An awful mix-up between Dan Ball and Sekani Simpson allowed Goldberg a free run on goal and he fired the ball into the roof of the net. City continued to match the league leaders but ten minutes before the interval they were compliant in falling further behind. Possession was lost in their half and when the ball broke to Cook he was tripped in the box by Pat Keary. The same player stepped up to fire home the penalty and Bromley looked on course for another three points in their title quest. However, rather than go in search of a killer third goal after the break the Lilywhites looked to slow the game down at every opportunity which handed the initiative to City. Bromley keeper Julian had already denied Dave Pratt and Nick McCootie but on the hour mark he could do nothing to prevent Naby Diallo’s shot finding the net via left-back Anderson. City continued to press, although they were getting frustrated by Bromley’s understandable time-wasting, and on a couple of occasions almost got caught in the break. However, with just one minute remaining they finally found a deserved equaliser. A great run by Ross Stearn saw his cross deflected onto the bar and the ball dropped to Andy Watkins at the far post to shoot home despite Julian’s efforts to keep it out. Although the result saw City fall one place to 12th it was the same drop for Bromley that could have greater consequences as the 2014-15 Vanarama Conference South season enters it’s final stretch on the the day Staines Town became the first confirmed relegated side.

Time nearly up on Big Day Out offer (27/3/15)

A reminder to City fans that they only have until March 31 to take advanatge of The Vanarama Big Day Out Offer. With a 50% price reduction on ticket prices it is great chance to see the Vanarama Conference Promotion Final, for a place in the Football League, on Sunday 17th May at Wembley Stadium. Vouchers are available from the club office and tickets can then be claimed between 7th and 11th May. All money collected goes to Bath City FC.

2015-16 Season Tickets now available (25/3/15)

City have announced that both season ticket and matchday entrance prices will remain unchanged for the 2015-16 season. There will also be a number of deals, including entry into a free draw and extra discounts, for season ticket purchases before certain dates. For full details of the prices and to download an application form click here or on the link on the front page of the website. Forms will also be available at Saturday’s home game against Bromley.

Magnificent 7 ride again in Boro repeat (21/3/15)

City were involved in another remarkable game against Farnborough this afternoon as, for the second time this season, they put seven goals past the ailing Hampshire side, who netted two in reply. With the match at Twerton Park finishing 7-4 the two games between the sides this season saw an incredible 20 goals scored. City had already seen a couple of good positions come to nothing before Ross Stearn collected a Pat Keary pass, cut back inside and beat keeper Barnes at his near post in the 9th minute. Five minutes later Stearn pass sent Nick McCootie racing clear to slide the ball into the net. The hosts pulled a goal back a minute later when a free-kick broke to Bennett to net from six yards but on 22 minutes McCootie’s header allowed Andy Watkins to bear down on goal and make it 3-1 with a neat finish. City looked like scoring almost every time they got in the Farnborough half but it wasn’t until three minutes before the interval they scored again, Watkins taking advantage of a poor punch by Barnes from Ashley Kington’s corner to fire home his second. And there was still time for another corner routine to deliver the ball to Artus, whose shot from just inside the box found the corner of the net. Nine minutes into the second half a perfect pass from Naby Diallo allowed McCootie to dink the ball over Barnes for his second and City’s sixth. With 20 minutes left a well-taken goal from Bennett made it 6-2 but it was City who completed the scoring two minutes later, Stearn netting after great work from Diallo.

10-man Stortford edge out fast-fading City (17/3/15)

City’s fast-fading Vanarama Conference South play-off hopes took another hit this evening as they lost 1-0 to Bishop’s Stortford at Twerton Park. It was another largely disappointing performance from City, only livened up during the final half-hour following the introduction of substitute Ross Stearn. The first half was largely even with neither side able to create more than a handful of half chances, Andy Watkins stabbing City’s best narrowly wide on 19 minutes. He did have the ball in the net just past the half-hour but Nick McCootie had been harshly ajudged to have fouled a defender in the build-up. What turned out to be the decisive goal arrived on 51 minutes when a Sellars cross looked to have been cut out by Jason Mellor only for ball to reach Bailey-Dennis who made no mistake from 12 yards. It was clear the visitors were going to look to hold on to this lead, slowing the game down at every opportunity, and this approach was increased when the goalscorer received a second booking for a nasty foul on Watkins. Whilst it couldn’t be said City laid siege to the Stortford goal after this they did create several good chances to get back in the game. Stearn’s perfect cross was headed just wide by Ben Adelsbury then the winger embarked on a great run before unleashing a dipping shot that just cleared the bar. In the end though Stortford hung onto their lead to take the three points back to Hertfordshire.

City sign Somerset’s Peter Trego (16/3/15)

City have signed Peter Trego on non-contract forms. The Somerset CCC all-rounder has also played football for Margate, Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon Town and Chippenham Town and, subject to confirmation of the registration being accepted by the league, he will be in the squad for tomorrow’s fixture at home to Bishop’s Stortford.

City’s U18 side will be in action at Twerton Park on Saturday 21 March against Llanwern Newport County. The game kicks off at 10.30am and entry is free.

Wear your City shirt with pride and help beat bowel cancer (15/3/15)

On Friday 17th April, the Bobby Moore Fund are asking the nation to wear their football colours with pride and make a simple £2 donation to the Bobby Moore Fund. No matter who you support, our only opposition on this day is bowel cancer. So hunt out that retro classic, pull on this season’s kit or brave the challenge of wearing a rival shirt. Round up your family and friends within your club for a day of fun while also helping to beat bowel cancer sooner! Visit for more information and to download the poster.

Late equaliser denies City Concord win (14/3/15)

A last minute equaliser denied a lethargic-looking City victory against Concord Rangers at a bitterly cold Twerton Park this afternoon. Although the crowd was boosted by the ‘pay what you want’ offer for the club’s Community Day they witnessed a desperately disappointing game that neither side deserved to come out of with a victory. An early cross by Dan Bowman that just evaded Dave Pratt flattered to deceive as both sides struggled to produce anything close to quality football. However, on 28 minutes City went ahead when Phil Walsh rose highest to head home a Frankie Artus corner. Despite this there was no noticable improvement in the game which was still the case into the seond half. Neither sides effort could be questioned but with both keepers virtual spectators the game looked to be heading for a narrow City win. With a minute left, though, Concord finally managed to create a sight of goal and Stokes’ low shot went in via the post to spark extensive celebrations from the visitors players and bench. The latter then clearly instructed the team to settle for the point and despite five minutes of stoppage time that was how it finished.

‘Pay What You Want’ on Community Day (11/3/15)

A reminder that Saturday’s Vanarama Conference South meeting with Concord Rangers is Bath City FC’s Community Day and a “Pay What You Want” game with 10% of the money taken being donated to the RUH Forever Friends Appeal. The club are encouraging fans to attend the game wearing CLUB replica kits. There are 2 prizes on offer – both £50 vouchers to be spent in John Moore Sports in Bath, which have been kindly donated by Rob Moore and an anonymous fan. The person wearing a club replica shirt from a team furthest from Bath in the UK will receive one of the vouchers and the person wearing a club replica shirt from a team furthest from Bath outside the UK will receive the other prize.

You can dowload a poster to publicise the day here.

Self-inflicted wounds contribute to Weston loss (10/3/15)

City missed a great chance to close in on the Vanarama Conference South play-off positions this evening, gifting Weston Super Mare a 4-2 victory at their Woodspring Stadium home. The hosts started the game brightly and neat build-up play saw Watkins fire them in front after eight minutes. City soon began to shake off their slow start and had already seen a corner come back off the bar before great footwork by Nick McCootie saw Llewellyn trip him just inside the box on 24 minutes. Dave Pratt blasted home the penalty and seven minutes later a low cross by Andy Gallinagh was turned goalwards by Ashley Kington, where Seagulls keeper Purnell could only fumble it over the line. City were now firmly in control but either side of the interval they made a number of unforced errors that allowed Weston back into the game. Firstly, Fortune was allowed a free header from a corner to level the scores and moments later Phil Walsh gave away possession then compounded the mistake by pulling down McClennan to earn a second booking. Then within two minutes of the restart Jason Mellor’s attempted pass out went straight to Lucas and he rounded the keeper before rolling the ball home. Despite these self-inflicted set-backs 10-man City still looked the stronger side and substitute Ross Stearn saw a free-kick tipped onto the bar then another effort blocked on the line. However, Weston always looked dangerous on the break and with eight minutes left they secured the win, Grubb shooting past Mellor to make it 4-2.

Club statement re Community Ownership (9/3/15)

Following discussions with the Bath City Supporters Society Action Group, we have accepted the principle of community ownership as a positive proposal and a way of delivering a number of benefits which we would want to see achieved and we were pleased to see their desire to maintain Bath City’s playing status at Conference level.

As stressed at the beginning of the current season, the Club faces the reality that it is loss making and new funding has to be obtained to sustain it at its current level. The Board has managed to protect the asset at Twerton, whilst providing the Club with a good position within the football pyramid, but this has not been sufficient to generate the income required at this level.

The Club has financial obligations to discharge and is fortunate that it has an asset, unlike so many of our rivals, but we would not wish to see the Club’s destiny taken out of its own hands.

There are still matters to be resolved but, we will co-operate fully with the Society during this process of fund raising and wish for a successful outcome to the community ownership initiative.

The Board will continue to operate the Club and discuss other options until the successful outcome is known with certainty.

Play-offs hopes rekindled by Hemel win (7/3/15)

City rekindled their Vanarama Conference South play-off hopes with a 3-0 win at ten-man Hemel Hempstead Town this afternoon. Although the game lacked quality from start to finish – both sides struggling to cope with the blustery wind and hard, uneven playing surface – a well-struck goal from Frankie Artus in first half stoppage time and two late strikes from Ross Stearn and Dave Pratt secured a deserved three points for City. The closest either side came to scoring in the early exchanges was when Pratt charged down keeper Walker’s clearance only for the ball to bounce over the bar. The game was then held up for ten minutes when one of the assistant referees pulled up with an injury but even after the restart both sides struggled to pass or control the ball on the poor surface. However, in the time added on for the injury City broke the deadlock. Initially the replacement linesman flagged for an infringement but the referee waved play-on and when the ball broke to Artus he fired home from just outside the box. City had a lucky escape early in the second half as Benton and Parkes both struck a post within seconds of each other but on 53 minutes King became the fourth Hemel player to see red against City this season after he headbutted Ashley Kington. It wasn’t until the game’s closing stages that City began to make their man advantage tell though. Stearn missed a great chance with six minutes left but less than a minute later he made no mistake, drilling a shot past Walker. And two minutes later Pratt latched onto a Kington pass to make it 3-0 and ensure the three points would be heading back west. The win moves City to eleven points off the play-off positions with three games in hand ahead of, weather permitting, Tuesday night’s trip to Weston Super Mare.

Bath City FC Community Day details (5/3/15)

Saturday 14th March is the Bath City FC Community Day when it is a “Pay What You Want” game against Concord Rangers with 10% of the money taken being donated to the RUH Forever Friends Appeal. Bath City FC has raised over £1000 so far towards this appeal over the last 12 months. Last season’s Community Day attracted City’s best home crowd of the season, 1374, and it would be a real boost to the team, who have excited the fans with their great FA Trophy campaign by so nearly making it to Wembley, to return to Twerton Park and be greeted by a large crowd. The Bath City Foundation will also be helping to fill the Family Stand with children from local schools.

The club are encouraging fans to attend the game wearing CLUB replica kits. There are 2 prizes on offer – both £50 vouchers to be spent in John Moore Sports in Bath, which have been kindly donated by Rob Moore and an anonymous fan. The person wearing a club replica shirt from a team furthest from Bath in the UK will receive one of the vouchers and the person wearing a club replica shirt from a team furthest from Bath outside the UK will receive the other prize.

You can dowload a poster to publicise the day here.

City have confirmed dates for their home matches against Hayes & Yeading United and Ebbsfleet United. Hayes will visit Twerton Park on Tuesday 31 March and Ebbsfleet on Tuesday 14 April. Both games kick off at 7.45pm.

Battling City edged out by Basingstoke (3/3/15)

City’s hopes of bouncing back from Saturday’s FA Trophy heartbreak with a Vanarama Conference South victory were dashed this evening as they lost 3-2 to Basingstoke Town at the Soccer AM Stadium. After an even opening to the game it was the hosts who struck first, Dickie heading home at the far post on 19 minutes. They doubled their advantage seven minutes before the interval when Enver-Marum’s free-kick appeared to go straight through the City wall. The second half began with good efforts from Dan Bowman and Frankie Artus and, in the 55th minute, another shot by the latter was deflected into the path of top scorer Dave Pratt to reduce the arrears. However, within a minute City were two goals behind again as Macklin was given the time and space to beat Mellor. City kept battling though and, moments after the Dragons had struck the post in stoppage time, great work by Nick McCootie set up Andy Watkins for a tap-in. There wasn’t time to complete the comeback though, leaving City to reflect on another ultimately disappointing away trip.

Vanarama Big Day Out offer extended (2/3/15)

The Vanarama Big Day Out Offer, with the 50% price reduction, has been extended to 13th March. A great chance to see the Vanarama Conference Promotion Final, for a place in the Football League, on Sunday 17th May at Wembley Stadium. Vouchers are available from the club office and tickets can then be claimed between 7th and 11th May. All money collected goes to Bath City FC.