Hampton & Richmond Borough (0) 1 Bath City (0) 0 – Vanarama National League South – Saturday 21 November 2020 – The Beveree Stadium

Hampton & Richmond Borough (0) 1 Bath City (0) 0 – Vanarama National League South – Saturday 21 November 2020 – The Beveree Stadium

Match Report by Mark Stillman

Sam Deadfield’s late penalty inflicted a fifth successive defeat on luckless Bath City, who looked on course for a well-earned point at the Beveree. The Hampton midfielder stroked home the winner after substitute Ryan Gondoh was needlessly upended by Frankie Artus. Tom Mehew nearly rescued a point soon after as his shot flashed just wide of Alan Julian’s post. Hampton held out for their first home league win of the campaign and ended a five-match winless streak against Jerry Gill’s men.

The City boss made six changes to the 2-1 defeat vs Hemel Hempstead two weeks prior, with new recruits Will Dean, Grant Horton and Tom Mehew thrown in alongside the returning Jack Batten, Dan Ball and Tommy Conway, with Jason Pope and Lucas Tomlinson dropped to the bench. Injured duo Freddie Grant and Matt Buse missed out alongside the departed Tom Leak and Freddie Hinds.

City started positively with Tom Smith blazing over after an intricate move down the left involving Mehew and Donovan Wilson. Mehew also fired off target after Dean’s free-kick was charged down by the wall. Hampton threatened from set-pieces. Myles Anderson headed over from close range after Dean Inman nodded it across and Clarke bravely gathered Inman’s header at his near post from Kyron Farrell’s corner. Conway shot too close to Julian after beating Anderson to a loose ball as the sides headed in level at the break.

Tom Richards was introduced for hamstring victim Callum Evans at half-time as Hampton were also forced into a change for the same reason with Gondoh on for Niko Muir. Smith thought he’d broken his goal-less drought after the break but his smart finish was disallowed following a foul on Anderson in the build-up. Gondoh gave the Beavers fresh impetus in the attack as he thundered a shot wide from 15 yards after sustained pressure. City posed a threat themselves as Mehew found Conway down the left and he raced clear only to see Julian dash off his line and block his goalbound shot and keep the score goalless. The young forward failed to trouble the Hampton stopper when he hit the side netting after beating Inman in a foot race. Having defended assuredly in the second half, City undid their good work when Gondoh skipped into the penalty area having received the ball from Wilson Carvalho and drew the challenge of Artus, who clipped the heels of the substitute. Referee Joel Mannix was perfectly placed to award the penalty and Deadfield struck it low just inside Clarke’s left-hand post with the goalkeeper close to keeping it out. The impressive Mehew nearly snatched a dramatic leveller but arrowed his shot agonisingly wide with Julian beaten. Hampton hung on to recover from their disappointing midweek loss at home to Hemel Hempstead and left a Bath City side looking deflated willing for a break to get them back to form.

Att: n/a

City’s Line-Up: Clarke (c), Smith, Batten, Ball, Artus, Evans (Richards HT), Wilson, Conway, Dean, Horton, Mehew. Subs not used: Henry, James, Pope, Tomlinson.

Scorers: City – none; Hampton – Deadfield (86 pen)

City Bookings: Batten (33), Mehew (75)

Officials: J Mannix, M Fletcher, T Godfrey