February 2017

Andresson extends loan until end of season (28/2/17)

City and Reading FC have agreed to extend the loan deal for centre back Axel Andresson until the end of the current season.

City edged out by title-chasing Ebbsfleet (25/2/17)

City’s unbeaten league start to 2017 was ended at Twerton Park this afternoon with a single goal defeat to title-chasing Ebbsfleet United. The visitors got the decisive goal five minutes after the interval and then professionally kept City at bay for the remaining 40 minutes. The Fleet edged a largely even first half with clear cut chances at a minimum for both sides. It wasn’t until the 31st minute that either keeper was called into action, Max O’Leary denying Deering with his legs after the winger had burst through City’s backline. He then had to tip a Kedwell header over the bar to ensure the game was still scoreless at the break. This all changed within five minutes of the restart when a long clearance wasn’t dealt with by George Rigg which allowed Bubb the time and space to lift the ball over O’Leary. Rather than press for a second Ebbsfleet were now content to slow the game down at every opportunity, going down and staying down whenever possible, and taking an age over every set-piece. It also became a common sight for keeper Ashmore to fall to the ground whenever he collected the ball, taking further vital seconds off the clock. To their credit City didn’t let these antics get to them and gave everything to get back in the game. However, the positive side of the Kent side’s game saw them repell all that was thrown at them and even with City cranking up the pressure as the game reached its closing stages they couldn’t find an equaliser. In fact, Ebbsfleet should have made the game safe in the closing minutes when Cook raced clear, rounded O’Leary but then shot against the post. This gave City a further chance to push forward but with only four minutes stoppage time added on they came up short to see their nine game unbeaten league run ended and Ebbsfleet return to the top of the Vanarama National League South, showing that the end justified the means.

Five matches for the price of four offer (24/2/17)

Back at Christmas we introduced the Festive Five – five tickets for the price of four. Well these were so popular that we’ve brought them back with the snappy title of 5FOR4 – dare we say ‘it does what it says on the tin’?

Buy online now and get five tickets for the price of four to be used at any match or matches before the end of the season. Adult 5FOR4’s are just £52 saving you £13 on your matchday tickets. You can use yourself over five matches or share among friends and family. Just another way we want to reward your commitment to the Romans and maybe help you introduce someone new to the club. Tickets also available for Seniors (£40 – save £10), Students/U18 (£28 – save £7) and U16 (£8 – save £2). Buy now!

Somerset Premier Cup hopes sunk at Weston (21/2/17)

A City side featuring just two regular first XI players exited the Somerset Premier Cup this evening in a 3-0 defeat to Weston Super Mare. Despite drizzle for much of the day there was no repeat of the late postponements that have bedevilled games between the sides at the Woodspring Stadium in recent years and from the opening kick-off it was clear that the Seagulls were determined to get one over their more illustrious local rivals, playing with a pace and intensity that City never came close to matching. Weston had already gone close on several occasions before ex-City striker Jake Reid fired them ahead in the 30th minute. The second goal came two minutes before the interval when a corner dropped to Chamberlain and he turned and shot home from close range. Any hopes of an unlikely comeback disappeared on 63 minutes when Reid made it 3-0 and only wayward finishing from the home side prevented them running up an even more comfortable final scoreline. City will hope for more joy when they return to North Somerset with a more familiar line-up for the Vanarama National League South meeting in three weeks time.

Clinical City march on with big Saints win (18/2/17)

City produced another great performance at both ends of the pitch to beat St Albans City 4-1 at Clarence Park this afternoon. A goal apiece from their four attacking players and a third successive penalty save by Max O’Leary were the highlights of a victory that stretches the Romans unbeaten run to nine games. They got off to the perfect start on three minutes when Marvin Morgan unleashed an unstoppable shot from just inside the box. The home side came back well from this setback and put City under pressure with a series of corners and long throws into the box. They were unlucky when from one set piece a shot come back off the post but from City’s next sight of goal they made it 2-0. Andy Watkin’s great pass saw Nick McCootie lift the ball over Saints keeper Russell from 15 yards. Shawn McCoulsky was denied by Russell when sent clean through by Morgan’s flick on the stroke of half-time as City looked to put the game to bed before the break. However, on the hour mark McCoulsky took full advantage of a dreadful mix-up between Russell and Martin to roll home City’s third. St Albans responded almost immediately through Walker’s crisply struck shot to make it 3-1. City continued to look the more likely to add to the scoring but with eight minutes left Noble went down chasing an overhit ball forward and the referee pointed to the spot. Once again it was O’Leary who came to City’s rescue, blocking Lucien’s effort then combing with George Rigg to keep out the follow up. And this allowed City to complete a great afternoon in Hertfordshire in the final minute when Watkins’ swept the ball home after McCoulsky’s shot had come back off the post.

City have rearranged their Vanarama National League South game at Weston Super Mare for Tuesday 14 March (ko 7.45pm).

“Women at the Game” = #bestkeptsecrets (16/2/17)

Watching live football with a group of mates is a fun, uplifting and bonding experience. In fact it’s men’s best-kept secret. So, in conjunction with national initiative “Women at the Game”, and in recognition of International Women’s Day on 8th March, Bath City FC is encouraging as many women as possible to come along to the match against Hemel Hempstead on Saturday 11th March 2017 and get in on the act.

Already a women- and family-friendly environment, Bath City FC is about to become a community-owned club with a commitment to strengthening its links to the local community and to the wider city absolutely at the heart of its new identity. Come along and join us for a reception before the game where you can get together with other female fans over pre-match refreshments. Existing BCFC women fans will be on hand to make you feel welcome, show you round and take you into the ground for the game in a safe and supportive environment.

  • Reception in the Moore Stephens Lounge: 2pm
  • Match kick-off: 3pm
  • Special WatG ticket (available online at The Bath City FC Shop or at the entrance to the Moore Stephens Lounge from 2pm on the day) includes free team sheet and access to the Lounge at half-time and after the match.
  • Reserved under-cover seating or standing on the terraces if you prefer
  • Parking, food, licensed bar and tea bar all available at the ground
  • Location: Bath City FC, Twerton Park, Bath BA2 1DB
  • Email us with any queries at watgbathcityfc@gmail.com– or just turn up on the day and look for our WatG hosts to guide you to the reception!

    I, Daniel Blake screening with Ken Loach (15/2/17)

    Bath City are pleased to present an exclusive screening of I, Daniel Blake, in the company of director Ken Loach on Wednesday 15 March 7pm at Twerton Park. See this powerful, Palme d’Or and BAFTA winning film at Bath City Football Club, where Ken can often be spotted on the terraces amongst the matchday crowds. Following the screening there will be a discussion that will offer the chance to share thoughts and experiences and to hear more about the making of the film. For further information and ticket details visit The Bath City FC Shop.

    UPDATE 16/2/17 – All General Sale tickets are now sold out.

    Watkins rescues stoppage time point for City (14/2/17)

    Andy Watkins’ 91st minute strike – his fifth goal in the last three games – rescued a point for City at Oxford City this evening. Just when it looked as if Fleet’s 63rd minute goal for the hosts, following Max O’Leary weak punch, would be enough to separate the sides Watkins got the vital touch to Billy Murphy’s low corner. This was no more than City deserved in a game that saw both sides struggle to produce any quality football but three times Oxford keeper Hill had to produce stunning saves to keep City at bay. After a cagey opening City began to enjoy the better of the play but the firm uneven pitch meant they failed to turn this superiority into clear chances, the ball spending most of the time in the air and both sides guilty of giving the ball away time and again. The second half began with Hill denying City twice in the space of a few minutes, first tipping Shawn McCoulsky’s header over the bar then, from the resultant corner, producing an even better stop to keep out Watkins’ overhead kick from the edge of the box. The game soon reverted to dour first half showing but on 63 minutes O’Leary elected to punch a free-kick clear only to direct it straight to Fleet who’s first time shot flew into the unguarded net. O’Leary then had a lucky escape when Carvalho’s low shot took a wicked bounce just in front of him but the ball hit his shoulder before looping over the bar. Oxford were now content to sit back and try to protect their narrow advantage and when Hill turned another McCoulsky header over on 90 minutes it looked as if they would hold out. However, this time he couldn’t keep the follow-up corner out to the delight of the travelling City fans. There was still time for O’Leary to make up for his earlier error, tipping Louis’s header over, and ensure City’s unbeaten run was extended to eight games.

    Penalty save sparks late surge from City (11/2/17)

    City maintained their unbeaten start to 2017 with a 4-0 win over Truro City at Twerton Park this afternoon. However, the game turned on a 75th minute penalty save by City keeper Max O’Leary to deny the Cornish side a deserved equaliser. Five minutes later Billy Murphy’s deflected shot made it 2-0 before a quickfire double from Andy Watkins gave the final scoreline a flattering look. With snow swirling around a bitterly cold Twerton Park neither side could muster much in the way of quality during the first half although City had looked the more threatening, Watkins diverting their best chance the wrong side of the post from Nick McCootie’s cross on 22 minutes. The deadlock was finally broken on 33 minutes when Pugh was ajudged to have handled Frankie’s Artus cross and Axel Andresson drove home the penalty kick. The game became more open after the interval with both sides looking more dangerous going forward and a strong spell of possession for the visitors appeared to have earned them an equaliser with 15 minutes left. Truro sub Thompson dispossessed Andresson right on the touchline and was the felled by the defender but then saw his penalty saved by O’Leary. City took full advantage of the loan keeper’s second successive spot-kick save five minutes later when Murphy’s 20-yard effort took a slight deflection to leave Rice wrong-footed in the White Tigers goal. The floodgates opened after this as a great one-two by McCootie and Watkins saw the latter net against his former club. Then in stoppage time he moved into double figures for the season, running on to Artus’ crossfield pass before firing the ball into the net.

    Nick McCootie fourth player to sign for 17/18 (7/2/17)

    Joint top scorer Nick McCootie has become the fourth City player to sign an extended contract until the end of the 2017-18 season. The striker joins Billy Murphy, Frankie Artus and George Rigg.

    National League v The Army match announced (6/2/17)

    The National League and The British Army are pleased to jointly announce that they will field three representative sides to play each other simultaneously on Wednesday 29th March with the matches being staged at Harrogate Town, Tamworth and Eastbourne Borough respectively.

    All three matches will be supported in partnership by Vanarama and S&C Slatter Ltd.

    The purposes of these matches are:

  • Strengthen existing ties between The National League and The British Army at a recognised sporting event.
  • Enhance the community relationships between local member clubs and Army units in and around the locations selected for these matches.

    Full details for each of these matches will be detailed in due course but will kick off at 7.45pm with an entry price of £5 for Adults (including match programme) whilst seniors and juniors will be FREE.

    Brian Barwick, Chairman of The National League said “This is an innovative approach and we are pleased that with the cooperation of our member clubs we will be able to consolidate the relationships we have collectively and individually with the Army. We look forward to three enjoyable encounters on the field and meeting up on the evening in three different parts of the country, thus enabling fans to come and support these matches. Our grateful thanks are extended to everyone who is working to make each a success”.

    Major General Mitch Mitchell, Chairman of the Army FA endorsed those comments by saying “Over the last two years the support of The National League itself, along with their member clubs and their title sponsors Vanarama has allowed us to forge new links in communities wherever we are based and to assist personnel leaving to return to their working community. These links grow daily for the benefit of all concerned and these three matches will cement even further the ties existing. The Army FA is pleased to join in this venture and hope that it will attract a good following both military and civilian on 29th March. We have strong community connections with the three venues chosen”.

    Lecco and City bond in wake of WSM postponement (4/2/17)

    When City’s game against Weston Super Mare was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch this afternoon – the fourth time this had happened in the past five seasons – most travelling supporters would have headed back home – whether they were still on route or had made it all the way to the seaside town – but one group had somewhat further to travel. A group of six Calcio Lecco 1912 fans had travelled all the way from Northern Italy to watch the game ahead of celebrations to mark the 40th anniversary of the club’s victory in the Anglo-Italian Cup, where they beat City 3-0 in the final. However, despite the understandable disappointment that the game was not to go ahead they made the most of the lovely weather in Weston and took on a group of Roman followers in a game of beach football. And once again it was the Italian side who emerged victorious, this time by six goals to five.

    Weston match off due to waterlogged pitch (4/2/17)

    Despite a dry night and sunny morning Weston Super Mare’s pitch has failed to recover from the recent rain. The Seagulls held a 10.30am inspection but deferred a final decision until the referee arrived at the ground at 1pm. Another delay until 1.30pm followed before it was announced that the pitch was still unfit. A new date will be announced in due course.

    City sign McCoulsky on loan from Robins (3/2/17)

    City have signed highly-rated striker Shawn McCoulsky on a month’s loan from Bristol City. The 20-year old spent time on loan with tomorrow’s opponents Weston Super Mare earlier in the season, where he scored twice against City, and Vanarama National League side Torquay United.

    Weston Super Mare will be holding a pitch inspection at 10.30am tomorrow to determine whether their Woodspring Stadium pitch is playable following the rain this week. With a dry night followed by a sunny and windy day tomorrow the Seagulls are hopeful that the match will get the go-ahead.

    Bath City FC Academy information (3/2/17)

    The Bath City FC Academy will be holding their next trial day on Tuesday 14 February. The programme is open to talented footballers that have a desire to make it in the professional game. Futher information can be found here or by contacting coach Billy Clark on 07968 086836 or bclarkwilliam@gmail.com.

    City to host landmark Community event (1/2/17)

    Fans’ organisation Supporters Direct has chosen Twerton Park, home of Bath City FC, for a launch event of a new national network of community-owned football clubs. The event, on Thursday 23 February, will bring together community-owned clubs from across the South West to discuss how local football can create positive social outcomes. Amongst the clubs attending will be community owned Merthyr Town who will share how their club went from being liquidated in 2010 under private ownership to being named UEFA’s grassroots club of the year five years later.

    James Mathie, Head of Club Development at Supporters Direct, said: “We are delighted to be kicking off these network meetings for community owned sports clubs at Bath City. Following a tremendous campaign which won the hearts of Bath and Romans supporters it seems like the perfect place to bring together clubs at different stages of their journey. We hope the network will get clubs better connected to share ideas as well as inspire more to follow this increasingly popular path.”

    The event comes as democratic members organisation Bath City Supporters Society prepares to take a majority stake in Bath City FC, having raised over £350,000 last September in a community share offer. Nick Blofeld, chair-elect of Bath City FC, said: “We’re very heartened by the support we’ve received from Supporters Direct and other community-owned clubs. It’s vital for us to learn from the experiences, both positive and negative, of clubs who have already been on this journey.”

    Since achieving the fundraising target, representatives from Bath City Supporters Society have held discussions with community-owned clubs Lewes FC, Cork City FC and FC United of Manchester, as well as attending SD Europe’s fan ownership summit in Malmo, Sweden, last November.

    The national network programme is funded by Power To Change, a national organisation that supports community businesses.