City pay the penalty in FA Trophy exit

City exited the FA Trophy in a penalty shoot-out to Coaville Town this afternoon at Twerton Park. The game finished goalless after 90 minutes – with both side missing first half penalties – before the Ravens won 4-3 to secure a place in the last 16 of the competition.

It took until the 35th minute for either goalkeeper to be called into action as Scott Wilson’s low shot was comfortably gathered by White. Two minutes later City won a penalty when Wilson was brought down by Carter but he saw his spot kick saved by White. Dan Hayfield then fired narrowly over following good work by Oscar Thorn and Jordan Thomas as City finally began to look like the higher league side. However, in first half stoppage time Coalville were awarded a penalty as McGlinchy was tripped in the box by Chris Lines. Thanoj stepped up only to see his weak effort easily saved by debutant teenage keeper Josey Casa-Grande.

The second half saw City enjoy the majority of possession with the visitors looking to catch them on the break. A trademark Thomas run saw his shot well blocked then Hayfield directed a header over the bar. Coalville enjoyed their best spell of the game after this but as the half progressed City began to look more of a threat going forward. Wilson’s flicked header dropped on to the roof of the net on 79 minutes then Cody Cooke’s shot was deflected wide by White. Thomas was unlucky when his shot beat White only to strike the post before a great last-ditch tackle by Pepe-Ngoma denied Wilson. Coalville had failed to make the most of several swift breaks but almost grabbed a winner in the final minute when Casa-Grande diverted a Deans shot onto the bar. When Lines screwed a shot wide of the goal after White’s weak punch the game was headed for penalties.

Cooke, Wilson and Lines were all successful from the spot whilst Doyle-Charles, Thanoj and Dean ensured the shoot-out remained level after six spot-kicks. Danny Greenslade then saw his kick saved by White but Casa-Grande kept out Cook’s effort. However, after Hayfield sent his shot over the bar, Chambers stepped up to send Coalville through and end City’s FA Trophy hopes for another season.