April 2001

Twerton Park campaign ends on disappointing note (28/4/01)

Having gone over a year without a home league defeat, it was with an air of inevitablity that City’s season ended with a second succussive Twerton Park reversal. Having seen hopes of an unbeaten home campaign disappear against Salisbury City two weeks ago, this time Welling United were allowed to return home with the points after a 2-0 win. The goals came in a five minute spell either side of half time and although City created a number of chances they never appeared to have the belief that they could get a result out of the game.

Prior to the action (?) the end of season awards saw Jon Holloway named supporters player of the season and Colin Towler picked up the players prize. The supporter of the season title went to Martin ‘Basil’ Brush and Rob ‘Parky’ Parkhouse was named the young supporter of the year.

One further game will take place at Twerton Park before the summer break is the now annual supporters match. This season the sides are Colin Tavener’s XI versus Paul Randall’s XI. The charge to play is £10 (all proceeds to the club and City’s Supporters Club) and any supporter interested in playing should ring Andy Weeks on 01225 334267

Football Trust looks for help from everyone (22/4/01)

With the minimum donation set at £1000 for the recently launched Bath City Football Trust City have moved to gain the support of fans who are unable to afford that amount. City director and Trust co-ordinator Phil Weaver said, “Every bit invested in the Trust is valuable and very welcome. It’s clear that people do like the idea that it is held totally independently of the club. None of the directors or staff are even signatories on the bank account. So we have clearly got the message across that money will not be disappearing down some black hole of administration costs. Actually, we trimmed all our costs to an absolute minimum some time ago, but we fully understand that people want to see that the Fund is separate. As for those that cannot afford £1,000, we did decide to set that as a level for people to aim at, and of course we offered the free season ticket, and the Supporters Club chipped in with the very valuable free coach travel. But if someone could only afford perhaps a fiver a week for one year, that £250 would be very welcome. While we obviously couldn’t offer a free season ticket or coach travel at that level, I’m sure that we can come up with something that will show our gratitude to the fans.”

The club has asked for any suggestions of a package that could be offered to those supporters who make donations of any size and these ideas can be e-mailed to bath city fc dot com at s.c.howe@bcfc12.freeserve.co.uk.

Teenage City keeper secures chance to wander (22/4/01)

Young City reserve goalkeeper Liam Bull has been given an opportunity to earn a move to Premiership hopefuls Bolton Wanderers after getting a trial with the 1st Division side. The 17-year old England Schoolboy international, who has made five appearance between the posts for City this season, will join with the Reebok Stadium’s under-19 side for training and a series of matches.

Moor misery for City in another away defeat (21/4/01)

City stumbled to their 11th away defeat of the season this afternoon as Moor Green ran out more comfortable winners than the final scoreline of 3-2 would suggest. The home side lead by a single goal at half time after Poston fired past Bibbo on 36 minutes. They then doubled their advantage four minutes after the interval when Martin shot under Bibbo. In between Colbourne missed a glorious chance to head City level, but after 51 minutes Davis header bobbled past Bate and City were given hope. However, another low shot found the net with twenty minutes remaining. this time from Hall, and Moor Green restored their two goal lead. The game should have been wrapped up on 82 minutes when Bibbo was beaten for a fourth time but a linesman’s flag halted the celebrations and City went straight up the field and made the scoreline 3-2, Gosling heading his first goal for the club. And four minutes into stoppage time it looked as if the same player had grabbed an equaliser only for a stunning fingertip save by Bate to give the hosts their deserved win.

The Bath City Football Trust off and running (20/4/01)

With over 200 fans packed into Randall’s at Twerton Park last, City directors Phil Weaver, Geoff Todd and Ken Loach announced details of The Bath City Football Trust aimed at overcoming the debts that are currently crippling the club. Following the shareholders no vote over the possibilty of solving the financial problems through the sale of Twerton Park the board has turned to it’s supporters in a final effort to regain the ownership of the club and clear debts currently standing at over £500,000. The Trust has been set up with the intention of raising up to £650,000, allowing the repayment of all debts and the purchase of Corporate Equities majority 51% shareholding. To download full details of The Bath City Football Trust (in Word format), including an application form, click here. At the launch it was also revealed that already donations totalling £30,000 had been made and another £20,000 was offered by supporters following the two hour meeting.

Salisbury curse brings home record to an end (16/4/01)

City’s one last remaining target this season – a full home league campaign unbeaten – was ended at the penultimate hurdle after a goal 15 minutes from time gave Salisbury City a 1-0 success at Twerton Park this afternoon. The goal – an unmarked header from Gibbon – came after City had failed to consistently threaten the visitors despite having the majority of the possession. The closest City came to scoring was two efforts that hit the woodwork. First, Turked headed against his own bar just before half-time and then ten minutes after the interval a Jamie Gosling shot, following a strong run by Colbourne, struck the outside of the post.

Walker special not quite enough for Weymouth win (15/4/01)

City came within six minutes of recording an excellent win over the current form team of the Dr Martens Premier Division but had to settle for a point in an entertaining 1-1 draw with Weymouth at the Wessex Stadium yesterday. The only change from the pitiful performance at Fisher on Tuesday saw Mike Davis replace Mark Clode but, after a shakey opening 10 minutes, City dominated the game and the only surprise was that it took them until the 75th minute to opening the scoring. When the goal arrived it was of the highest quality – Scott Walker collected the ball on the edge of the box before unleashing a rising left-foot shot into the top corner. However, Weymouth showed why they were unbeaten in their last 11 matches when an equally good goal – Rowbottom curling an effort past Bibbo after turning Bodin – drew them level on 84 minutes.

Launch announced of The Bath City Football Trust (11/4/01)

City will unveil their plans to recover from the recent ‘no’ vote over the possible sale of Twerton Park at a meeting to be held at the ground on Thursday 19 April at 7.30pm. The meeting, for all supporters whether shareholders or not, will see the launch of The Bath City Football Trust. Click here to read the full details and press release.

‘Stale’ Davis looks for fresh start away from City (11/4/01)

City midfielder Mike Davis has had a request to be placed on the transfer list accepted by the club after admitting that he may need a move to kick start his career again. The ex-Bristol Rovers player is one of City’s longest serving stars, having been signed by Steve Millard back in the summer of 1996, and was the player of the year in 1998-99. However, the last couple of seasons have seen his form fluctuate and he again only featured from the bench in last nights 1-0 defeat at Fisher Athletic. As the 26-year old is only half way through a 2 year contract City will be looking to receive a fee for the player.

One player would looks set to remain at City for one more season, at least, is defender Peter Tisdale. The Bath University student, who has been one of City’s most improved players this season, has been offered a job in London starting in September but has deferred his move for a year to allow him one further season at Twerton Park.

Clode sees red as normal away service is resumed (11/4/01)

If City manager Paul Bodin thought Saturday’s excellent victory at Crawley Town would herald a change in his side’s away day performances he was to be proved sadly mistaken just three days later, as they produced their worst display of the season to lose 1-0 to relegation threatened Fisher Athletic last night. The game also saw three dismissals as the home side finished with just nine men, and City lost Mark Clode to his second red card of the season. The deciding goal came four minutes before the interval when Manning turned a low cross past Bibbo.

Vote for the 2000-01 web page player of the season (9/4/01)

As another season draws to a close it’s again time to vote for the web page player of the season. Last seasons winner was Kevin Lloyd, just pipping Jon Holloway to the coveted title. So, will the City midfielder get revenge this season – it’s up to you. To register you vote just click here.

Crawley beaten as City taste away success at last (8/4/01)

Two goals in the first twenty minutes and a stoppage time goalline clearance helped City record their third away win of the season, ending a run of five successive defeats on their travels. They were handed the perfect start on eight minutes when a mix up between two Crawley defenders gave Colbourne a simple chance from five yards out. Twelve minutes later it got even better for the Romans, substitute Fraser finding the time and space to fire past Little from the edge of the box. The keeper denied Fraser and Walker with fine stops as City looked to put the game beyond the Sussex side but in first half stoppage time Ugbah headed home a corner. The home side could only improve after the break and City were forced onto the back foot. The clearest chance fell to Powell in the 78th minute, only for Bibbo to bravely save at his feet. Paul and Colbourne then saw chances to seal the game saved by Little and, deep into injury time, it looked as if the Reds had grabbed an equaliser. A series of corners ended with Colbourne turning the ball toward his own goal but to his, and the travelling band of City followers, relief Clode was there to head the ball off the line, and seconds later City could celebrate their first away victory since Folkestone at the beginning of January.

City still Havant got an answer to away day blues (4/4/01)

The inexplicable difference between City’s home and away form reared it’s head again last night as, on the back of two excellent victories at Twerton Park, they tamely succumbed 2-0 to Havant & Waterlooville. Having beaten Dorchester Town a week ago in even worse conditions they couldn’t use the difficult Westleigh Park pitch as an excuse but once again the confidence, particularly in front of goal, that they have at Twerton seemed absent. Colbourne’s headed chance after eight minutes, directed straight at home keeper Nicholls, was the closest they came in the first half. Havant, on the other hand, could have been two or three up before the interval, although only Blake’s far post finish ended up in the back of the net. The second period saw City attempt to get back into the game but too often the final ball was easily dealt with by the Havant backline and when Wood fired home from eight yards on 69 minutes the game was over.

On the same day he faced his former club, keeper Sal Bibbo announced that he is unlikely to remain at City next season. The ex-Reading stopper joined up with former teammate Paul Bodin last year from the Hampshire side but, following the rejection of the sale of Twerton Park by shareholders and the associated budget cuts, he has said he will almost certainly be moving on during this summer. Another player unlikely to feature for City again is Phil King as he contemplates retirement due to his failure to overcome a long-term knee injury. The former Aston Villa full-back has only featured once for City this season and it looks as if that appearance at Newport County will be his first and last in the first team.